Friday, July 1, 2011

Irrigation Ditch Equals Child Magnet

The park we have lunch at has an irrigation ditch that runs through it. Even though we live in town and this town is bigger then the town I grew up, it still feels pretty rural.

For instance, my mom lives about three blocks from us and on the way from her house and our very typical family type neighborhood, you pass three different horse pastures that will have their horses grazing. For that matter, the horses in the pasture behind my mom's place, helped break her privacy fence.

It wasn't their fault, they were being curious and leaning w a y over on a rotting post. It would have broken soon on it's own.

So, the public park where lunch is served to kids, has an irrigation ditch that runs through it. It's full on Thursday and can still be pretty full-ish on Friday. Luckily by Monday it's dry again.

It's darn hard to keep the kids out. There's not a kid of any age or size that doesn't head that direction even if they have no clue there's water there.

For the most part my kids have been pretty good this year. There's been the catching of "water skippers" some kind of long legged native water bug. Please note, I don't know if this is what they're really called. We've had a few attempts at wading and the usual "I'm so brave watch me jump the ditch and almost brake my ankle multiple times, but all ditch rules went out the window today.

Yesterday I had such a nice bike ride, I was thinking of doing it again, so I called the twins over to say it's time to go. I didn't' spot Greg right away but Dave came over just sopping wet. Since he had on shorts it was pretty darn obvious he didn't have his shoes.

I said in my mean mommy voice "Where are your shoes?" You know, the type of voice where you punctuate after every word. He gazed up at me and responded that "Greg, he get dem mom!"

I looked over and there was Greg standing in the center of the ditch, only his torso and up exposed. He was making "air traffic controller" type hand gestures with intermittent cheers obviously signaling that the shoes were indeed making their way down the ditch, straight to him.

If they could explain it all, I'm sure they'd say, that was the plan all along.

It was cute and sweet and downright freakin adorable. It was obvious that we all are missing out by not having a twin! I wish it could have ended on that note however, it didn't.

You see, Greg lost his shoe in the ditch. I'll report later this month on how well the new, shoes don't ever come off your feet, rule goes.

I wouldn't bet money on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment