Friday, July 15, 2011

Be The Best You Can Be

So Jane's getting ready for camp. I know, I know, but Lisa, she already went to girl's camp!

Yes she did.

This isn't girls camp though. Well it's sorta a girls camp. Okay, it's a camp for girls but it's not the church organized and sponsored sleeping out in tents experience. This is a camp based out of Utah organized by a woman named Barbara Billings.

The whole camp experience is about building young girls through testimony building experiences coupled with lots of service. It's a chance for teenagers to look outside themselves and in the process learn to love themselves by helping others.

I need to purchase a yard and a half of fleece so Jane can make a blanket and buy a children's book for Jane to read to underprivileged children and then give as a gift. When Jane went last year, she went to temple square in Salt Lake City amongst a whole host of other activities. It was a jam packed week.

I noticed a change in Jane too. She was more confident in herself. Also the empathy she showed to others was amazing. It's not a church sponsored activity but LDS standards as outlined in the Church's"Strictly for Youth" pamphlet are closely followed.

I won't sugar coat it. It's expensive. It's $450.00 for this M-F camp, that includes board, meals and transportation plus (Jane loves this) a t-shirt to boot.

Not the sort of thing in our meager budget however the past two years some extremely giving relatives have paid for Jane's tuition, allowing her not only to have this wonderful experience once but this second year to boot. My heart goes out to the love shown to our girl by this extremely generous gift.

Kate's green with envy of course, but she's not twelve yet and there's simply nothing we can do about that. Hopefully in two years we'll be able to send her. Kate needs what they have to offer.

I love the changes this program has made in Jane.

No comments:

Post a Comment