As a mother, how much time do I spend wondering, pondering and praying if I'm doing alright in raising my children. Am I meeting their needs? Do they know they're loved? Am I teaching them about our Savior and his love? Will they grow up and know happiness? Will they care for others, show empathy, be caring, giving, loving people that nurture and give back. Will they have a good work ethic? The list is endless and the worries never cease.
Yet somehow I have to step back and realize that raising my beautiful children is a process. Something that must be done one step at a time. One prayer at a time. Sometimes, it's a very long prayer that last on and off for days because I know I can't do it alone.
Sometimes I fail and have to start over. I've made it a point to tell my children when I've made mistakes and to ask for their forgiveness. So much of parenting is by example and I want them to be able to admit to their own mistakes. Admit and go forward, becoming better, stronger people. Learning from our mistakes is part of that and if we can't admit, we can't learn.
I do want them to be their own people but I want to teach them the tools they need to be the absolute best JANE, KATE, EAN, GREG and DAVID, they each can be. Really isn't that what every parent wants?
Our family doctor said it best. He said his family motto is "Be the Best". This isn't some dogma about pushing kids further then they can go, it's about realizing and rejoicing your accomplishments, your children and families accomplishments when they've done their best no matter what the outcome.
I don't think my children realize their potential. Humor me.
Jane. Jane is a service oriented person. She loves to DO for others. Now this love of service doesn't yet translate into siblings but give her time, she's young. :) Also, I've never seen a child pour so much of herself into her school work. She tries so incredibly hard and even with her struggles. Jane is very accepting of other people. She'll include anyone that wants to be included.
Kate. Kate can be another hard worker. Once she's decided to do something nothing holds her back. She's another kid that has succeeded in school despite lots of learning problems. Her sheer tenacity shows in her grades. Kate loves without abandon. If Kate loves you, she loves you all out. Kate also has a lot of trust for her family and friends. Please note that trust doesn't translate yet into younger brothers. We're working on that.
Ean. Oh my goodness, the boy is bright. He's smart, sometimes scary smart. He knows how to plan ahead when he's learning to reach a goal. When he's made a decision, he sticks to that decision. He forms theories on pretty much everything. And when he's wrong, he's quick to input his new knowledge into the file of "learned", sharing with all around him, his new discoveries. Ean loves people.
Greg. Greg is my love. I've told Kent he should be embarrassed he obviously doesn't love me as much as this little boy does, that will cheerfully kiss me fifteen times in a row and falls to pieces if I fail to hug him before leaving his side. Greg's smile lights up a room. He shows joy in his every action and word. Greg still struggles with his language delays but bless his heart, he's really improved at expressing himself. In the struggles we've had in the house with honesty Greg is the one kid that always tells the truth, even if it means he'll get in trouble.
David. Dave loves to explore. He's not afraid. David is quick to defend his twin when he's accused. David loves to be read to and he enjoys playing with anyone. David loves to dance, loves to run and loves to learn. Dave is the one that corrected me when I said "Cocoon" and told me "You mean Chrysalis mom". This from my five year old that struggled with so many delays since birth. How precious is that?
My point in these ramblings. I'm trying to keep my perspective focused on all the beautiful and wonderful qualities my children possess. There is so much potential there and even though I get frustrated, I need to remember all they have to offer.
They were sent to my family for a reason and I take my job as mother very seriously. The rewards are worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment