So we managed to get everyone off in the directions they needed to go this AM. Ean road his bike to my moms while Kent drove the twins over on is way to work. Marja picked up me and the girls and we dropped Kate off at a friends house and finally after a quick stop at Winco, Marja's two were dropped off at their dad's house.
Kate came home about an hour ago and Kent picked up the boys after work. Marja and I probably had just finished eating Mongolian Barbecue in Layton when Kent got the boys. Kent was very optimistic and called to ask if he needed to pick up the boys. Since we hadn't made our way back to the state, that'd be a yes dear.
Apparently my boys used all their charm on my mother. (please note the subtle use of sarcasm there) The morning went smoothly enough, but my mom reports things got a little rough at snack time. See mormor doesn't have a sea of junk food to snack on. And the boys took it upon themselves to let my mom know that her snacks were less then desirable and that it was time to go to the store and get new snacks.
My mom let them know (gently I'm sure) that wasn't going to happen.
The boys let mormor know there was another obvious solution and that was to put them in the car and take them up to the other grandparents where there's far better snacks.
Oh yeah, obviously the boys missed my lessons on being gracious. Thankfully my mother isn't easily offended by small children without filters. At least, she better not be.
So off we were to Utah. Jane did her very best to be her non-verbal teenage self. Marja was suitably impressed! A stop for a quick lunch and a round about way to reach the hotel to "drop" Jane off.
Forty minutes later, Jane was at her room and ready to go. Oh my socially awkward girl. We met a young lady that recognized Jane from last year. It was like pulling teeth to get Jane to engage in conversation. She so needs these type of experiences! I'm hoping for as good an experience as last year. She loved it last year!
So onto me and Marja, hitting the town. Marja had plans, to start with, I let her know Kent thought we should visit Cabela's. With an evil laugh Marja said we had to go to Cabela's. Not go in Cabela's, just go outside the store and take a picture and email it to Kent. Well, oKAY, if that's the plan then lets do it!
Our main problem, we were headed south away from the store. There was this little factoid I read in Jane's camp material that stated we were getting off, the same exit as Cabela's. Marja of course hadn't read this and apparently I had internalized this nugget and when Marja turned onto the interstate, I just didn't say anything.
Really I can't explain my brain, but at American Fork, I mentioned maybe we were to far South. Marja assured me we'd see it in a mile or two while we were both distracted with some massive highway construction. Finally we passed the construction and I noted we were at the first Orem exit. I mentioned that we were just about at Orem, and Marja responded that meant nothing to her. So I explained Orem was to Provo what Chubbuck is to Pocatello.
Apparently we were to far south.
At this moment I mentioned that tidbit of information from the camp booklet. You know, that we were actually just down the road from the desired location.
I am a goof. Thankfully my friends embrace all that is me and Marja had a hearty laugh as we headed back to where we'd just been. The picture was taken and all humor was lost on my husband who just couldn't understand the point of going all the way there and not going in. I mean, what's the point?
The point was any time spent in Cabela's was time lost that could have been spent in Ikea!!!
Okay, so I've never stepped foot in Ikea before. It was so much fun!!! Marja drooled over furniture she loved while I showed off how much swedish I've forgotten. Just a footnote, In swedish, you don't capitalize languages, so *s*venska, or *s*wedish is correct. I'm being nostalgic not lazy whenever I fail to correct this for the rest of the post.
There were tidbits about the store that cracked me up. I pointed out these embroidered lampshades. Marja mentioned that she's admired them before. Well the embroidery design is actually based on the tole painting style that is so characteristic of the country. See what happens when you go through Ikea with a swede loving American?
I will admit to geeking out when I found svart vinbärssaft, throw in a delicacy that I adored as a teenager plus buying yellow peas for yellow pea soup. Oh my SWEDISH HEAVEN.
We had a blast and I spent far more then I should.
Then we went to Marja's favorite tea shop, where we were going to have a late lunch. (they do serve herbal teas). Unfortunately they have shortened summer hours, which really bummed Marja out. We're planning a trip in the fall, on a Saturday. So that was our one disappointment.
We cheered ourselves up with a trip to whole foods. I have never been!! I was so excited to find raw honey. You see, raw honey, from wildflowers has many medicinal properties and I really wanted to find some to use with herbal concoctions to increase potency. So score! I found a few more edibles that called to me and then famished, we called it quits.
So we went to find food.
After much debate, we decided on the Mongolian Barbecue, conveniently located near a good friends house. She may be out of town, but that didn't stop Marja from stopping by and taking a picture of her house and emailing it to her.
Did I mention that I laughed. A lot. Pretty much from start to finish on this trip.
It was time to head home. I think my boys missed me. Missed me or not, I'm not sharing my Swedish goodies from Ikea!
No comments:
Post a Comment