Nor am I the authority on all that runs this world but there are few minor things that have bugged me and I'm going to let it all out.
Let me start off with gifts. Gifts belong to the recipient and there should be no strings attached. Now we all try to not openly flaunt regifting and exchanges but not everything will work for everyone. Sometimes it's even okay to point it out, I certainly pointed out my exchange when I was gifted a shirt from a not-so-observant Brother in law that was a size small. Oh hello, last small I wore was in sixth grade!
That deserved chuckles.
But regardless of what the gift is destined to become, be it your new stylish favorite to wear or a doorstop at the bottom of the closet until you can go to the thrift store, you should always be gracious.
Or at least have a sense of humor.
The Christmas after we were married, we went to Vermont for a second reception. My little brother, bless his heart, had bought us a set of glasses as a wedding present. Keeping in mind my brother was only 21, it was extremely thoughtful of him to think of us. As he handed me the unwrapped, still packaged glasses he made a big point of saying that he bought us something every newly wed needs.
I thanked him and said that brought the glasses count up to 106 (we were also up to four crockpots and over 12 sets of anchor baking pans.)
He promptly turned around, found my mom downstairs and repeated his shpeel about what every couple needs, changing newly weds to "old married couple" and handed her the glasses.
I about peed my pants.
Truthfully I had a lot to learn about being gracious but that particular exchange would only have happened with Malcolm.
There was this odd dynamical thing that went on one Christmas with the requesting that certain people got to "keep" the gift bags after the presents were opened. It was awkward and entirely inappropriate. Yes everything you wrap the gift with is also the recipients. If you're that attached to a gift bag, then you should just keep it.
Maybe on a shelf for all to admire.
Being gracious extends to parties and get togethers. If you suspect that you will be hating what is served, you should either eat lightly before going or provide something to share with the whole party.
It's really not good manners to bring your own little main course, that is exactly the same as what is being served, just a different brand because you are being ultra picky. So provide it all yourself or buck it up and eat what's served.
The obvious exceptions are extreme allergies and babies.
A non-food, non get together, non party gripe! Folks when riding bikes you ride with traffic. This means, the direction the cars are going, you also go that direction. Do not, I repeat DO NOT go against traffic.
I can't tell you how many people I've almost took out because they're going against traffic and I'm turning RIGHT. So of course, I look, left, right and then left again before turning and boom there's some idiot on a bike that I've almost taken out going against traffic.
Also, if you swear at me as you're swerving around me, and you're the one going the wrong way. I. Will. Tell. You. You're. Mistaken. Loudly if needed.
Those traffic laws for cars? Yes indeed apply to bikes too! So for the love of Pete (who is pete anyway?) go with the flow of traffic.
I've had my share of mistakes and snafus and I hope that those I've offended have forgiven me. It's pretty clear that my biggest problem is opening my mouth and letting it all out. Just read the above.
AMEN!!
ReplyDelete