Sometimes you really just wonder how your child's mind works. I mean, you think there is no possible way to interpret what I just said other then what it means and yet, they find some obscure way to put their own spin on your words.
This creativity is amplified by how much work you're requiring them to do.
For instance, Ean's interpretation of "Unload the dishwasher" was very much a "The sky is blue"/"The sky is red" sort of argument. He simply did not want to do it so he was very liberal in the actual meaning of the spoken words. This was the first time two times I told him what was expected.
After that he flat out ignored me. He went so far to go out the door right after I spoke so he wouldn't have to listen to me anymore. So with that little gem fueling my fire, I cheerfully emptied the dishwasher (which was only half full) and then filled it completely for him to empty after dinner.
The little turkey took it upon himself to get hurt right before dinner, so he got out of it again! Never fear, it's waiting for him right now, for him to do, before he gets to go to the movie in the morning.
*evil laugh*
Then you have the flat out literal interpretations. The twins are extremely adept at literal. You see, those darn language delays, some days all they do is literal.
We were at my mom's after dinner and "So you think you can dance" was on. Okay, I haven't seen it in a few years but man, I love that show so I was watching this episode. So much fun! However David was standing right in front of me with his head square in front of the screen. I said "Dave, move your head."
Without moving any other muscles, the kid slowly dipped his head to the right, as low as it would go. Oh my! HYSTERICAL!!! We all just sat there and giggled!
Then there's the, on one day something is bad and the next day something is good!
Ean argued with me for a good twenty minutes before showering last night. You'd think I was demanding he eat pigs feet for dinner with the lengths he was going to avoid this apparently terrible fate.
Today he took three showers. All on his own, with no encouragement or requirements from me. Why three? Only Ean knows. The kid loves baths and I think deciding a shower isn't so bad is an extension of that. He also got both little boys in with him and washed them.
This could be a very good thing in the evening.
So there you have it. What I say is probably not what I meant, just ask my kids. They'll straighten the whole thing out. Or at least, keep us laughing while showing how it's suppose to be done. Oy!
No comments:
Post a Comment