Why? Why do I get out of bed.
It hasn't been a bad day but it's been full of kid frustrations, much worse then usual. As much as I'd like to focus on the positive and the good stuff with our family, days like today provide growth for us all and because of this, they need to be remembered too.
Today was movie day. We have a great local movie theater that does the second string movies dirt cheap. For summer they run series tickets, 12 movies, one a week all summer long for only $7.50 apiece. It's a great way to break up the week, especially after it gets hot.
We've been going at the 10:00 am show, mostly because there's usually less people then the afternoon shows. The movie gets out in enough time for us to finish with lunch at the park. This is our Wednesday routine.
Well, not today. Everyone was dressed, everyone had shoes, the girls had even (sorta) brushed their hair and I couldn't find my keys. We've lived in the house for over a decade, I have a routine. My keys are either on my desk, hanging by the front door or the kitchen counter.
I realize that last one might not make sense but since cooking dinner involves unlocking multiple doors, the kitchen counter is much more common then you'd think. The exception would be when I bring in groceries, then there's a small chance they'd be on the kitchen table but I always check the table if my last stop was the store.
None of the usual places. I was extremely frustrated because, if it wasn't in one of "my" spots that meant a kid had moved them. I checked the usual kid spots (freezer padlock) and the unusual me spots (my pants pocket from yesterday, my purse, desk drawer, even behind the computer, floor around my desk). You get the picture.
Nothing.
Jane finally gets this look, she resembled a comic strip drawing when the light bulb appears over the characters head. Yup, Jane had taken them and once she focused, she walked right over to where she placed them.
By the time this happened, I had already called Marja to cancel the movie. She could have gone alone but bless her heart, she decided to reschedule with me and we'll go tomorrow morning.
I opted to do a TON of laundry and pack kids. Got a lot done, went to the store for camping food. and my keys are hanging by the door Thank. You. Very. Much.
In between all that, there was a whole lot of kids getting into stuff they shouldn't. Ean repeatedly doing what he'd been told not to do three seconds after I spoke. The twins deciding to copy every single annoying thing Ean does.
Oh and it was HOT. Hot outside, hot in the house and I couldn't sit two seconds without there kids leaning on me. Greg, Ean and sometimes Kate, I couldn't stand it.
*Deep Breath*
I'm trying to focus. They're excited. We're going camping. We just had a long weekend with lots of fun stuff. Kent's schedule has changed. I need to breath deeply, be firm, be loving, keep limits in place and we will get through this.
Friday afternoon, I may let them scream like banshees while we camp and not even care. As long as they're far enough away it's not to loud but I can still tell no one is hurt.
I'll leave the organized activities to Kent. He's the outdoors man.
Good strategy!
ReplyDelete