While driving down one of our neighborhood roads last week, a car pulled out of their driveway right in front of me.
Keeping in mind that the speed limit in our neighborhood is only 25 mph and there's kids everywhere, I wasn't going very fast. However there are only two choices when someone is suddenly in front of you, either you hit them or you don't. I chose the latter and stopped just a little bit more sudden then I usually do.
I do drive a suburban and the car seats are positioned in different rows. One seat just behind my head and the other in the third row on the passenger side. Neither seat has a very good view of what's directly in front of the car but their language delays often make explanation really difficult if there's something that can be explained.
David was directly behind me, so when he spoke the voice was right behind my head. Sound usually just resonates in the back compartment, throw in back ground noise and it's sometimes extremely difficult to hear what's being said unless the child is speaking up.
Dave spoke up.
He told me "Mom, you need to not stop so quick. It is very dangerous!" Please note that "very" is actually pronounced "verwy" by Dave.
I quickly let him know it was far more dangerous to hit the car that was front of me then to stop suddenly. He let me know under no uncertain terms that I was wrong and repeated himself. I told him again that there was a car in front of me and I. would. have. HIT. IT. if I hadn't stopped.
David starting to feel the frustration that was his mother not getting what he was saying and reworded his original sentence before repeating himself again. This went on for a good ten minutes.
Throw in Ean pointing out loudly (because Ean doesn't usually do low on his volume) that seat belts were for quick stops and you have one pretty loud, headache inducing ten minute ride. David never did figure out that hitting a car was bad and we would have and I'm pretty sure he still thinks I'm dense for not understanding the dangers of sudden stops.
We'll just have to not understand each other this time.
Another common sense tidbit from our very own Dave happened yesterday during the downpour that occurred in the middle of our weenie roast. The downpour wasn't actually during the roasting of the weenies but shortly there after when it was time to do smores. Fortunately I had Marja there, so it wasn't a big deal to head out and roast anyway. The first batch that is.
We stood at the fire pit with light sprinkles coming down as Jane, Kate and my niece Sarah decided the weather wasn't "that" bad and joined us. We went back inside, assembled smores for everyone that one wanted one and decided to risk the rain again for more "adult" smores. I'm talking the heavenly combination that is a roasted coconut marshmallow and Hershey's "special dark" chocolate sandwiched between two graham crackers
Even Kent who doesn't like smores will eat one or two of these decadent babies.
We started outside. The rain was really coming down and it was a COLD RAIN. We stood side by side roasting our coconut covered marshmallows when we heard Dave, speaking from above.
See my inlaws house has a walk out basement so the back door entrance is on the deck which is up a flight of stairs. The voice was over a flight above us, about five feet behind our heads.
"Hey you guys! It's raining. You don't belong in the. RAIN! You get out, right now!!"
Overtaken with a fit of giggles, I told Dave that I knew it was raining. David repeated his ever so sage advice and you could tell by the tone of his voice, he felt the dangers of roasting marshmallows in the rain were obviously far to great to be ignored.
And foolish us, just laughed and continued down this dangerous avenue.
So he tromped down the stairs and while getting completely dumped on, yelled at us to get out of the rain.
Oh the fit of giggles!
I told him to get out of the rain and followed him up the stairs. We were drenched. But the heavenly dark chocolate, roasted coconut marshmallows, so worth it. Even if Dave didn't agree.
No comments:
Post a Comment