Since I have been (basically) called judgmental for being upset about those that abuse the park lunch program here in Pocatello, this is a bit of "putting myself out there". I did open the blog again to the public earlier in the month so in a way, I'm already "out there". Since this is my spot to say whatever I will, I'm going to climb on my soapbox and express some thoughts once again, about the summer lunch program.
For those that don't know the program in general, for multiple years now we've had a wonderful program offered to children via a federal grant. The program has a few rules which include.
1. Lunch is available to those 19 and under (they will refuse babies that obviously won't eat the lunch)
2. Lunch is be eaten, in it's entirety at the park.
3. Lunch provided for a child is not be eaten by adults.
I'd like to note that an adult is welcome to buy a full lunch, which includes a 1/2 pint of milk, a 1/2 pint of juice, some fruit based item, a chip, usually carrots or cheese stick and a main item, either hot or a sandwich for only $3.00. If you so choose, you can buy just the hot item or sandwich for only a buck.
A few years ago the rules were a bit looser. You only were required to eat your main item and drink you milk at the park however due to excessive abuse of the system either in the form of parents encouraging their children to break the rules and just walk home or using their children to get food for themselves, the rules were tightened up to "all items" being consumed at the park.
What people don't seem to understand is that this grant that pays for the lunch system is contingent on the program rules being followed. This means that if the feds say our school district is non-compliant they won't pay for the lunches that were provided that summer.
So you know all the awful cuts we've had to deal with in our school district. What will happen to our children if not only our school district is found non-compliant and has this sudden debt but in addition they lose the lunch program. Our children and by association their parents will be hit financially during the school year and during the summer with excess school expenses and food expenses.
In my house summer lunches equals twenty five lunches a week. About two hundred and fifty meals for the whole summer via this incredible program. I know my family is not the only one that would be hurt if we lost it. Or they change the program and instead of this park system, we have a cafeteria program like they do in Logan Utah. Not nearly so nice but this is what may lie in future.
You see, our lunch program didn't pass their inspection earlier this week. Why? Lets see, all the parents getting their kids to get food for them, parents leaving the park with the lunches, parents encouraging children to get lunch and walk home, I'm seeing a theme and it's P.A.R.E.N.T.S.
So, I say, have a backbone and follow the rules! Don't spoil it for the 3000 plus children that benefit from free lunches!!!
And if you were one of the parents I saw throwing a fit in the parking lot because you broke the rules and they're cracking down on you, I was cheering for the lunch ladies as we sat in park and my children cheerfully ate their lunch.
I think this deserves to be published!!
ReplyDelete