Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Kate Might Have Asthma

She's had a non-stop cough for months and it's become noticeably worse since spring set in. My mom observed her wheezing while pulling weeds with her. So we're pretty darn sure.

I scheduled an appointment and took her in to our family doctor. The concensus was, he could order a bunch of tests or we could take into account family history (that'd be me) and assume asthma, treat for a month, and if it's not better go from there.

I'm all for treating and seeing if it works.

So Kate got a prescription for singulair and for an inhaler. While we were there I asked for a prescription for an inhaler as well, since what I have at my house is at least four years old. I also refilled my expensive "more fluoride then you can imagine" toothpaste at the pharmacy. The stuff that strengthens my teeth that fall apart even with impeccable care. A side note, four children out of four had no cavities last week at the dentist. Thank Heavens the kids apparently haven't inherited my teeth!

But back to Kate. The pharmacy was it's usual brand of chaos, so of course I opted to pick up the prescriptions later that night instead of waiting an hour. Of course I promptly forgot until 9:30 at night. Oh dear.

I was already for bed.

In my pajamas.

Time to change I guess. So change I did and Kate decided she HAD to come with me and she opted to stay in her pajamas, so she ended waiting in the car.

It took longer then expected. The pharmacist asked for names, I gave mine, I gave Kate's. He asked a second time, I gave mine with my birthday, he said, okay he had it. He got a bag with several prescriptions and told me how much was owed. While checking me out, he mentioned the other pharmacist wanted to talk to me about prescriptions.

I walked to the other window, glanced down and realized everything was for me. Oh dear, I said you forgot about Kate! He said, "Well, I asked for names again." Oh sheesh.

So onto discussing the prescriptions. I was asked if I'd ever used these before, I proceeded to spit out all the information I knew, I'm very familiar with both the fluoride toothpaste and the inhaler. So back into line I went, I still needed Kate's stuff!

Ten minutes later (Kate was in the car this whole time), I finally get helped and a prescription is pulled out, scanned and I'm asked "Is the inhaler all there is for her?" Uh, that'd be a big fat no. So he looks up Kate's stuff and lets me know that they are out of the singulair in Kate's dosage. G-reat. So after a call to the pharmacy in Chubbuck and a drive by their window, we're finally taken care of, literally minutes before the Chubbuck pharmacy was closing.

What a way to end the evening!

At least we had some fun before that with a pleasant family night discussing "modesty" using the "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" song to illustrate how you can tell if you're dressed modestly followed by a fun trip to the McKees pet store and ice cream for refreshment.

Hopefully Kate's cough clears up now!

No comments:

Post a Comment