Saturday, June 11, 2011

Kent's New Job

Well this post will be a little different because I'm actually writing it weeks before I can post it. You see Kent has a new job but I can't talk about it. Oh where to start?

Well first, to field all the inevitable questions.

What about the store?

Well the store will close. We are extremely grateful with the Lords blessings and even with the inevitable frustrations that come along with working the family business, we've seen the Lord's hand in all the years Kent's work there. Decisions on what to sell, and to stay there were definitely inspired, especially when I found myself pregnant with the twins. Kent was going to leave and had actually given notice right when I found myself pregnant. We both felt strongly that he needed to stay and the store provided flexibility for our twice weekly trips to Salt Lake, along with the blessing that was pretty incredible insurance that covered most of what would have cost us a quarter of a million for our extremely expensive miracle boys.

That said, there is a season for everything and the season for the store has passed. The others that worked to sustain the store had left leaving Kent alone (occasionally getting a break from his younger brother, but not often). The glory days were over and so were the days of great profit. Truth be told, at best the store broke even and there were times where that did not happen leaving us without a steady income.

It is frustrating to see my wonderful husband pour so much of himself into something that gave little in return.

Since our family was the only one left carving any living out of the store, then Kent leaving means closing is inevitable. This opens other opportunities for other family members that hopefully will leave them better off financially as well.

Why can't I post this right away?

Well I'm writing this on June eleventh, 2011 but I probably won't be able to post until early to mid July. Simply put, every company Kent's ever worked for has stiffed the business their last check and Kent's trying to collect that. Keeping in mind that this is a commissions check of money already earned.

Really it's frustrating to not shout from the rafters about this change in our lives, so if you know me in real life and this takes you by surprise, this is why I didn't say anything. Anyone that knows me knows the extent this particular challenge is. :)

So what's Kent's new job?

In a real career change, Kent is being hired as a loan officer for a company that, well gives loans out.

I hope there are opportunities and stepping stones here for him. I hope and pray it's something he can really enjoy. His new boss is an incredibly nice individual that seems to really like Kent. Apparently Kent was THE only person remotely qualified for the job and his people skills will be put to work in this new career.

Kent initial nervousness over his career change has slipped into a real anticipation and excitement over doing something new.

What's Kent doing until his job starts?

The business has been going for a decade at it's current location. So Kent's been cleaning, dejunking and preparing the building for sale. Kent's still going into work, still making sales when people want to buy but he's putting a lot of effort into cleaning now. He's also getting stuff ready for his new job. He had to take a drug test (the kids asked what this meant and all went "EWWW" in unison when they found out it meant peeing in a cup). There's a ton of paperwork he's had to fill out, not to mention the background check.

Of course he needs training before he can start as well. So there's lots to do the next few weeks.

There's down time as well. Kent's closing the store at five instead of six. There's simply no reason for him to stay late when he could be spending time with his family in the evening. Of course we love having him earlier.

What kind of hours will he be working?

He told me and I can't remember exactly but a few nights a week he'll be late, quitting at seven at night. He'll have an hour for lunch during the day and actual vacation time! His new boss seems extremely flexible given enough notice. Kent's hoping we could actually pull off a trip to Southern Utah over spring break next year, something we've never been able to do in the past because Kent couldn't take the time off on his own.

So that's that. The big huge update of the biggest change in our personal lives since the twins were born. I will proof-read this, probably miss a few grammar mistakes and post this at some later date, mistakes intact. I hope for more positive updates for our family with this career change for Kent. We are excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment