Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Facebook

Facebook is an interesting phenomenon. Lets take a look. You have those that connect with only the closest family and friends. Then you have those that "friend" every person they've ever said hi too and then even beyond that you have the game junkies with friends numbering in the thousands.

It's not just the amount of friends that differ. The reasons people are there differ. Some people are nosy and it's an easy way to keep tabs on everyone. A snoopers cyber dream, so to speak. Then you have my husband, who has an account and occasionally he may even sign on, if he remembers his password but the majority of the time it just sits there.

I do confess I have used his account to send myself gifts on Farmtown but I digress.

Me, personally, I love the chance to keep in contact with the cousins I grew up with. They are now mostly married, with children and I love seeing their pictures. They are so happy and it's an absolute delight to get a glimpse in their lives. I also am on facebook for immediate family. Although we don't have a lot of contact, with one younger brother across the country and the other across the world, it's an easy way to communicate. We need that. It's important and I'll always have an account for that reason.

You can put in a little of time, or a lot of time. It's entirely up to you and although I have been trying to cut back on computer time in general, a quick glance at facebook while eating breakfast seems to put my world just a little bit righter.

I have decided to clean up my friends list and that's always messy. There's sure to be individuals that I cut, that I didn't mean too. A simple message is all it takes and then I'll re-add. Although I was brutal this last clean up. Simply put, if you're someone that I find gossipy, you were cut. If I find myself deleting your individual posts for whatever reason, you were cut. If you live in the same town with me, I just may have cut you unless I consider our facebook conversations to be something extra special, for whatever reason.

So I reserve the right to delete some family members and not others. The same goes for ward members, people in the neighborhood, whatever, you too may be deleted. I'm more likely to keep internet friends that well, I only have contact with on the internet. I'll tell you what, I promise to buck it up should you decide you need to delete me, for whatever reason. But just for the record, I also reserve the right to keep my half a dozen "farm town only" friends that send gifts.

After all, it is MY facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment