I think most moms know what I mean when I use the phrase touched out. It's that feeling having someone invade your personal space over and over again. It's a three year old putting his feet in your face, five times in a row. When the twins have decided they need to nurse, all day long. When every moment I try to relax by sitting down I find at least two children on me and they are pushing each other trying to claim me as their own.
Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate being loved but seriously, these kids think that not only do they have to touch me, but they should have exclusive rights to my personage. They go into guard dog mode, pushing and shoving any child that tries to invade their *cough*my*cough space!
It gets even better when the inevitable chorus of My mommy!! NO MY MOMMY!!! breaks out. At that point I seriously not only want ear plugs but I have a huge desire to live in a physical bubble cut off from the world.
How do I teach the little urchins that when I pay attention to one particular child, their worth does not start plummeting. This isn't the stock market! My love doesn't have a ticker that goes with the Eb and flow of what's happening in my house. Now my patience has a ticker and today, it was low, very very low.
I hurt my back this morning. No I don't want to discuss how but the resulting ache has permeated every activity I've done today. There was also a religious broadcast today that I wanted to watch, soak in, enjoy perhaps even be uplifted. Oh my hopes were way to high. Instead I refereed fights, had people tugging and touching me every time I turned around, begging for food, to play, to do ANYTHING but what they were told to do.
Yeah, I turned off the broadcast and went to Walmart Alone! Actually as proof of my desperation, my hard hearted self pried Greg off my pant leg and left him watching me, crying at the window while I drove off. I was a lot nicer when it was just Jane. However, needing time to be in a place where I wouldn't be climbed on, tackled, pulled, pinched, bugged, harassed, or anything like unto it, I chose Walmart as the lesser evil.
How sick is that?
So it was crowded, noisy and I had to park out in kingdom come but no one touched me! I bought really exciting things like milk, cheese, eggs and dog food. It was fabulous! Good grief, I was desperate, wasn't I?
The twins were having some mommy time and Kate tried to push them off. I'm telling her that she doesn't have to hang on me and she burst into tears saying no one loves her. When reading with Kate Ean, well Ean is lucky to be alive, he was driving me bonkers! Feet, touch touch touch, climb on my back, giggle giggle. It was important time with Kate and I couldn't get rid of the kid.
I hope they all calm down tomorrow. I can't take another day like today. You wouldn't think the crew lived with me twenty-four seven the way they all clung today!!!
SHEEEEEESH!
Everything you said sounded so familiar. It is a sad day when you have to go to Walmart to escape your kids but we all have done it. Hardly quality "me" time but in comparison to the alternatives we will take what we can get huh?
ReplyDeleteThe "My mommy!, No MY mommy" is irritating too and you want to yell "RIGHT NOW I AM NOONE'S MOMMY! I am just me so leave me alone! I hope you caught The talk to young mothers, I think it was by Elder Holland. It was right up your alley. If not make sure you catch it. It was Sunday afternoon session.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll look it up as soon as I get my ensign. Really, I didn't get much this year, my kids were way to rowdy the whole time.
ReplyDelete