Friday, April 4, 2008

Oh crap, the twins went to the dentist this morning.

Greg has had a discolored tooth for over a year now. It's actually gotten darker the past few months. Actually I figured the tooth was dying or dead but I wasn't worried. I didn't realize the gum is swollen so we're talking infection and if we're talking infection we're talking extraction.

So my twenty-seven month old baby needs to have his tooth pulled. The worst? I have to hold him while he's getting it numbed! *sob* I think I'll send Kent. I don't know if I can do it. I mean, hold my baby while he feels like he's tortured and be a part of something where he'll hurt afterwards.

This tooth is one of his front upper teeth. Now I want the boys weaned but damn, I don't weaning to be associated with a painful time that will make him want nummies even more. Sometimes they just need the comfort. I have no idea what this will do to our nursing relationship. No idea at all.

Dave's is worse. He's got cavities in two upper molars that will need crowns put on them and he's got cavities in lower molars. He needs to be put under to deal with it all. Oh gosh, my baby boy! He's the same age Ean was when Ean got his first set of tubes but something about when they're so little, it's just scarier I think.

Dave's getting his work done at the same surgery center Kate had her tubes put in last month. He has to have a physical before hand and I've already scheduled that with his primary physician. Kent's in a panic because he doesn't think medicaid will cover the surgery center.

I just don't see how they can't. And I really don't need the panic from him. It's just ticking me off. The only other choice would be the hospital and the surgery center is far cheaper then out patient at the hospital would be.

The boys dentist is covered by medicaid, the work needs to be done and the doctor will only do it if he's under, cause it's so much and he's such a little guy. I just don't see how it could not be covered.

I'm illegally using Dave's antibiotics on Greg right now. Don't turn me in. Greg has the same prescription, same dosage as Dave and I haven't had a chance to pick Greg's up yet. Using Dave's has allowed me to make sure Greg gets one more full day of antibiotics in before his extraction. *disclaimer* Please note I would never have given the child antibiotics if he hadn't been prescribed them.

SO that's my day. The good, the bad and the ugly. I'm dreading this. My dear sweet boys won't understand. They just won't and that's the very hardest of all.

Edited to addI just got word from medicaid the boys have both bumped up in the type of coverage they receive. I'm really shocked. This doesn't affect their teeth but it means they're covered for speech and service cordination with infant toddler. The shocker, we never applied. Pretty darn strange. Now, hopefully the answer to the greatquestion, will the surgery center be cover, is resolved soon.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lisa - if the boys are covered by medicaid, then it shouldn't matter where they get surgery, should it? I mean, why go to the center place instead of the hospital if medicaid will cover at the hospital?

    Anyway, good luck with this one. I'd send Kent too. Stinks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DW, it looks like there won't be a problem. Kent was spazzing for nothing. Medicaid has a referal system for care outside of the primary physician and when Dave goes for his physical, his doc is suppose to fax one of these numbers over for the surgery center to use.

    It would be very stupid to not cover the surgery center when they're so much cheaper then the hospital. That's one easy peasy way for medicaid to save money.

    ReplyDelete