Friday, April 18, 2008

I love our backyard

Our backyard is enclosed with a fence that can't be seen by the street. I allow my small children to roam, play and explore without fear for their safety. We have a swing set, a tramp and a big ol tire with sand in it. What more could a kid want?

Well the older kids apparently want bikes, scooters and freedom to roam the neighborhood. They bounce back and forth between back and front twenty or so times in an afternoon. This wasn't ever a problem before but apparently it's a problem now because the gate is getting left open. Usually we can tell because our big beastie dog is out front greeting all his furry friends with plenty of tail wagging and butt sniffing.

Today, I found out because someone in the neighborhood gave me a call to let me know my twins were a full block away from my house. With a quick goodbye and a run with no shoes I started out the door. I ran fast and for someone as out of shape as I am, that's saying something. Unfortunately I was so upset, I ran the wrong direction.

When I reached the corner, I looked frantically and realized I was at the wrong street.

*sigh*

So panting and limping (bare feet remember) I went the other direction. Fortunately a good Samaritan had picked the boys and their dump truck up and was looking for us. Thankfully they had enough sense to stay together and no one hit them.

So I just called my husband to let him know we need a lock on the gate tonight! We have our electric meter in the back so it'll be a pain once a month to have to go unlock the gate but for the peace of mind knowing I can let littles play in the back yard, it's worth the teensy hassle of letting the meter reader in.

My heart is still beating and it's not because I'm out of breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment