My mom just finished an LDS mission at the Family History Center in Salt Lake City. She left her home for a year, paid for her mission out of her own pocket and completely gave her time and energy to give service unto others.
I'm so proud of her.
But everything must come to an end and it's time for my mom to go home. Since we live in Idaho, mom was actually closer to me during this last year then she is when she's home. Home being Vermont. We actually snuck to Salt Lake every month or two to see her on her days off. Fortunately mission rules differ for older missionaries then for the young 20-somethings most people think of as missionaries. So our visits were legal, no rule breaking and for the first time my kids got to know my mom on a more regular basis.
Mom's only with us until Friday. Hopefully the twins warm up to her. They've been total turkeys towards their grandma. I wonder if it's because we're on "their" turf. They are acting kinda shy and really they only want me. Actually other then Kent, they really aren't cuddly to other people, so it's nothing personal but still, I know my mom is aching to hug and snuggle those boys.
Fortunately Ean has latched onto my mom like there's no tomorrow. He follows her everywhere, including in the loo! I've had to remind mom several times that in this house locked doors are your friend. *laugh*
Since mom is driving back to VT, she has her car packed to the hilt. She's spent most of the day repacking it. Trying to figure out how to make more room for her sister's suitcase. Mom took out a snow shovel and an umbrella while rearranging, Ean has claimed them both. Actually he tried to sleep with the snow shovel last night with his arms and legs wrapped it, just sure someone would try to take it from him.
Mom's accepted that she's probably lost the shovel.
The LDS church won't let their single missionaries drive alone so my aunt flew out today and will meet up with my mom on Friday to drive back with her. Fortunately for my aunt she was flying on Delta and didn't have tickets for American airlines, and their mess of over three thousand cancelled flights.
Ean has been amusing his grandma too. He's very quick to correct his perceived ideas. For instance, I showed him the American sign language I love you sign. I told him what it means and he looked at me and said MOM, that isn't a four, that's a three.
Blink blink
So I repeated in telling Ean that when I held my hand like that, it means I love you.
He was very quick to jump in again and tell me that wasn't a four, that was three and then held up four fingers to show me what four looked like. It's as if I said, the grass is green and he said NO MOM, the sky is blue!!! Who can argue with that kind of logic?
A few minutes ago my mom said to him that he was my number one boy. He was very insulted because he is not one he is FOUR!! (and he isn't really four yet *laugh* but birthdays are so subjective)
A few days in, the little boys are starting to tease my mom, grin as they run out of reach. She really wants to hold and cuddle them but they just won't let her. She's got two things working against her. One, they are boys and two, the age. The twins really won't snuggle and cuddle with anyone. My mother in law would also really like to bond with them. Apparently mommy is the only one that will do.
I wonder once I get the turkeys weaned if it will be any better?
Actually all my kids have gone through a mommy only stage. Ean actually spent an entire year of his life yelling no when Kent's dad tried to touch him. Oh he changed, it just had to be on his time table. Now he can't get enough of his papa. Papa picked him up from preschool today and Ean cried when he was brought to our house. He wanted to stay and play with papa.
So there's hope for the twins.
No comments:
Post a Comment