It's been suggested to me that allowing children to have scissors is a good thing because it allows children to cut and use that energy and curiosity in a controlled environment. This of course assumes that you've given them material to cut and that they understand what they should and should not cut. This also assumes they have the desire to follow your counsel even though their siblings hair, clothes and possibly sheets are beckoning to them.
Yes I said sheets.
Kent and I always being careful with money tend to use one pair of sheets until they wear out and then buy a new pair. We've never spent the money on extra sheets even though it would have been terribly handy, especially when one of the kids has been sick.
We made a point to ask for deep pocket queen size sheets two Christmases ago, and that's what we got. Score! Finally, I wouldn't frantically try to get the sheets in the dryer hoping they'd be dry before bedtime.
We had two nice sets of sheets for only a couple of months and then for reasons only my then 20 month old could understand, he scored a pair of scissors and cut little V shaped cuts all through the sheet. We're talking hundreds of cuts, not something that could be repaired.
I cried.
Well last night, even though he's two years older, Ean's proved again that even when provided with direction and all the correct materials, he can't stop himself from cutting. This time it was the clothes on his back. Yes he cut his shirt and pants to smithereens. *shaking head* That kid!! When I asked him why he just repeated over and over again, Oh no mom, I cut them! Ean honey, why did you cut your clothes? MOM! NO, I cut them!
I gave up, really did I have to understand why or should I keep myself a touch saner by acknowledging there are some things I'll never understand. It's easier to try to prevent then try to get a straight answer from a kid that thinks I'm really confused because I kept asking him stupid questions.
Don't get me wrong, Ean doesn't have a monopoly. The girls have hacked their hair more times then I'd care to remember. There's also a few quilting blocks that bit the dust, my pants, a few of the girls dresses.
No, Ean isn't alone, not by a long shot. But he is the most thorough.
And teachers wonder why so many kids come to school not knowing how to use scissors. Its because those parents know better than us. Scary mix isn't it? Sorry to hear about the wreck your kids made of your sheets. . and clothes.
ReplyDeleteI can say without a doubt that Ean has very good dexterity in his right hand.
ReplyDeleteStinker.