My ten year old is a bedwetter. For years and years she's used the good nights. Now I do like the concept and for overnighters and stuff, it's a great idea but our daughter has been using them as a crutch for some time now. And as much as I love the child, she's lazy when it comes to throwing the good nights away.
I thought it was gross finding them on the floor.
Well it is gross, but it's worse finding pee soaked blankets and clothes scattered all over her room.
Now I did say she used the good nights as a crutch, her wetting was cut down two thirds after we stopped buying them. She went from maybe one dry night a week to four or five dry nights a week. Huge improvement, almost overnight. Our big problem now is getting the urine smell out of her room and out of the mattress. Oh yes, the girl has a waterproof mattress cover. She actually has two, so if one is dirty, there's a spare to put on the bed.
Her sister stripped her bed last week and she didn't bother to put it back on going to sleep. She didn't even tell me she needed help making the bed, grrrrrr. Well I noticed her room smelled a few days later and I told her to bring up everything that was wet. She brought up three things. So I washed them. A few days after that, her room really smells. I go in there and there's wet stuff everywhere, including a huge spot on the carpet!!!
Picture crazy woman throwing stuff in a garabage bag like there's no tomorrow. Yeah, that was me. Those girls of mine are pefectly happy to live like pigs!
I guess the only choice I have is to ride that girl every morning to force her to deal with any wet stuff as soon as it happens. Her grandma offered to buy her more good nights, because she assumed it was purely an economical choice to stop buying them. That's not the case and I turned her down.
I really think in the end it's the best choice for Jane.
Hey I love your blog!
ReplyDeleteI nannied a family and they had 5 bed wetters (and the older 3 were when they were little too!). One of the things I found that helped was every morning having them help me put every wet thing in the washer and then after school having them help me make the bed. I also only used small glasses at dinner time for dinks and then I would remind them to go potty at least 3 times between dinner and bed! Oh and a week of dry nights in a row got a treat - something like baking cookies with the nanny (me)or a red box movie etc. I know you are prolly already doing or have done these things!
I am going through the same thing with my 5 year old boy. I get so tired of getting so behind in laundry because of all the extra wet stuff. I keep wanting to give up because of all the hassle and go to goodnights too. But my husband discourages it. One thing that worked for our other two kids to night train them, but isn't working so great with this one is waking him up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. The motivational stuff aint cutting it for us. FOr a while it seemed he was improving when we gave him treats for being dry. We stopped that and he stopped being dry so I guess it is back to step one. Good luck with your efforts.
ReplyDeleteThanks ladies.
ReplyDeleteWe're just plugging away at it. I'd wake up Jane at night but I keep forgetting before going to bed.
Bad mommy!