Our church meetings last three hours. Only the last hour is together with the whole family. I dread this time together. Something that is meant to be spiritually fulfilling leaves me completely drained, tired and grouchy. I chase children, bounce children, scold, hold, rock and threaten children.
Kate can't sit next to me because she tries to "claim" me and starts a pushing match with any sibling that touches me. Ean does the same and heaven forbid if I have both Ean and Kate touching me because the whines from them as they push and shove can be heard echoing about the chapel. Of course Ean objects to the twins on me and the twins object to sharing the parent their with. And it's always two twins picking one parent. They won't split up because that makes to much sense.
Some parents bring snacks, I find it causes more problems then it solves because there's fighting over snacks and a mess to clean up. I also don't feel it's very respectful to leave goldfish crumbs in the pew.
Sooooooo what's my worst nightmare? Kent talking and sitting up on the stand so I have all the kids. Luckily for me I have good friends at church. I was able to borrow some teenagers and another friend to help with the kids. I also broke my no food rule and brought pretzels and goldfish, carefully divided into five baggies one for each kid. Sometimes I feel so dumb, I totally forget the extra child (my ten year olds best friend) that comes to church with us, so I had nothing for her.
My friend, whose a little older then I am, sat with Ean. At first Ean thought this would be torture. He yelled NO in the chapel when I suggested sitting with Lori. He quickly changed his mind when he realized he could have the full attention of an adult with competition! WOOT! One down!
I gave Kate to one of the teenagers. Since Kate is one of my biggest instigators, having her occupied was crucial. It worked beautifully, Kate also felt extra special having a friend during the meeting. So my biggest challenges were taken care of. That left two ten year old girls. Well, Two chatty girls *eye roll* and the twins.
I was hoping by giving a treat bag to the remaining teenager, she could bribe one of the twins into liking her. They're to smart for that. Dave gladly took her treats and ran back to me. Jane tried to help and those were the most disruptive times of the service. Next time, She's not sitting next to me either!
All in all we survived. And oddly enough I opted to skip Stake conference the following week because I had no desire to wrestle the kids through a two hour meeting!
We havn't braved the Stake COnference with the kids yet. I loved Sacrament meeting last when I didn't have kids but always thought that has to be the worst when you do have little kids. They are tired and hungry and BORED. It is better if they are just bored at the beginning and can be a little more loose the rest of church. That stinks. Good you had help though.
ReplyDelete