I made a decision last week and I'm going veg. To my best friend Kim who spent a large portion of her adult life allergic to meat protein, yes I'm doing this on purpose.
I could write a long drawn out post on all the health benefits then throw in the cruelty of slaughter but the fact is, I'm not a huge meat fan.
Oh I've enjoyed a good burger, and there are a few things (ham is my fave at Christmas time) that I'll miss but overall meat grosses me out. To prepare it, I can't deal with extra bones and fat. I have to work to not completely lose my stomach while cutting those parts out. *shudder* It's always been that way and I've done it anyway because well, wasn't that what I was suppose to do?
Kent is also a big meat and potatoes person. That's how he was raised. He enjoys meat and really, I don't have a problem with that. I was thinking though, I do need to make my decisions FOR ME not because of other people. Oh I don't mean that I'll do whatever the hell I want without thinking of my family. I mean that when there's something within my control that affects me and me alone, then I need to follow my heart.
Well I guess I can't say it'll only affect me, I will be serving more veggie dishes during meals but I'll try to work in my husbands favorites as well because I love him and he feels that love when I go to the effort of making something I know he'll enjoy.
I won't be eating vegan, it would be to hard to eliminate dairy and eggs from my diet. And I'm not opposed to eating dairy although I will try to cut down.
I feel good about my decision and I feel extremely good about what I've been eating. Really isn't that what counts?
My husband and I have considered doing that a number of times...I am just afraid I wouldn't be good at getting the right nutrients without meat. It wouldn't be hard to do if I just put my mind to research but I am not so good at deciding what is for dinner tonight without eliminating all of our favorites. I could easily do without beef of all kinds myself. Chicken is getting boring too. I do love my pork and fish though.
ReplyDeleteI think I'd be more worried if I was going vegan.
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty open to keeping the once in a blue moon grilled fish. That's the thing I really really enjoy.
Eh...whatever floats the boat. If you're not a meat fan, why eat it? I am not a BBQ sauce fan, and while I CAN eat it, I always choose something else if given the option. It simply doesn't...ahem...turn my crank! (LOL) You're an adult, eat what you want to eat! I know from firsthand experience that there are some darned good veggie recipes out there and I actually still make a LOT of them. In fact, here's one of my favorites. It calls for a can of pinto beans, but if you have a great desire to boil/soak food storage pintos, be my guest. I'll pass!
ReplyDeletePotato-Pinto Bean Soup
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup sliced shitake or button mushrooms
2 tsp. olive or cooking oil
3 large potatoes, thinly sliced (I never bother with peeling them. Too much work.)
2 14.5-oz. cans vegetable broth
1 15-oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup buttermilk (I refuse to buy buttermilk for one little recipe 'cause I won't drink it. Just dribble a little bit of vinegar in 1/2 cup regular milk)
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp snipped fresh basil, or cheat like I do and sprinkle in the dried stuff.
In a large saucepan cook the onions and mushrooms in hot oil till onion is tender but not brown. Add the potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes or till potatoes are tender. Stir in the beans.
In a small bowl stir together the buttermilk and cornstarch; stir into potato mixture. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Stir in basil.
It's recommended to serve with a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt. I don't bother with that...it's fine by itself.