Tonight is cabbage night. The night before Halloween. A night of general mischief over multiple townships. At least it's cabbage night if you live in or around the town of Bennington Vermont. Thankfully cabbage night isn't honored in Pocatello. Really who NEEDS one more night of general mischief to smash pumpkins of porches and throw eggs at your best friends car.
I will freely admit that I enjoyed walking to school on the 31st thoroughly enjoying the carnage of more eggs and pumpkins then I could have imagined. Even in grade school I marveled at the energy spent on the mayhem and as a teen I was highly amused when the local news would report that the Stewart's on Main street had been forbidden to sell eggs to anyone under the age of 25.
I mean really. You were ID'd for E G G S. *laugh*
Ahhhhh, memories.
My mom reminded me just yesterday morning that we always had applesauce with our oatmeal. I am not a huge oatmeal fan but a friend has introduced me to "germade" a cream of wheat type cereal and I really enjoy steel cut oats and I find myself reaching for the applesauce frequently, choosing that over any other additive. I hadn't realized it stemmed from my childhood.
It is funny how things come back to us. I was telling mom yesterday that I found an identical MP3 player with 12 more gigs of memory. I was sorely tempted and freely admitted that I was channeling my dad. Yes I was stupid to wash my MP3 player and it hasn't shown a spark of life, I believe it's DEAD for sure. So why not go bigger and better!!
Mom then pointed out that I was NOT channeling my dad because I was merely lusting after it, dad would have already bought it.
Good point.
As I think of my childhood and my memories, I wonder what kind of impression my children will have of our home when they're adults. I hope out of everything they bring out of their childhood, they remember first and foremost how much we love them. Each and every one of them. I hope they carry good and positive values. I hope they have a sense of humor. That they approach life knowing that nothing is as permanent or important as your family.
And maybe they'll remember their mom likes applesauce on her hot cereal. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment