What can't I do? Apparently I am incapable of carving a pumpkin. I am worthy to scrub toilets, do laundry, can jelly and jam for her to consume but according to my eleven year old, I don't know how to carve a pumpkin.
She uh, has trouble looking outside the box. *laugh*
Well in spite of her lack of confidence in my ability, I plowed forward and carved away tonight. I bought three big pumpkins for the kids, actually food stamps bought the pumpkins, apparently because they're edible. Not that I plan on serving them after they've been sitting on front stoop rotting for a week, but commentary on the system will be saved for another time.
Right now, the kids! Kate in her usual fashion to make sure she was the most special, claimed the largest pumpkin. Jane didn't care, she was just excited to do one. The twins both took a turn pulling out pumpkin guts but neither cared for the overall experience and quickly turned the pumpkin they were working on over to Ean.
Jane relished every squishy ounce of gooey guts. I think the gutting is her favorite part. After the insides were outside enough to work on, I brought out a magic marker and we worked on the faces.
I did Ean's first. He was easy. I've noticed he shuns away from art, feeling far more capable of the concrete world of letters and numbers then the abstract "draw a face". So when he proclaimed (loudly because Ean doesn't do anything softly) he wanted his pumpkin to say BOO and BOO is spelled B O O, I wasn't surprised at his choice. I was surprised that he knew how to spell BOO. *laugh* So I managed a B carved with a straight stick line and two crescents and did just ovals for the Os. It looked very nice, even if I was proclaimed inept with large orange gourds.
Kate was a bit more of a challenge. She had a tall pumpkin and drew two tiny eyes and a tiny nose up top. The face just screamed for a large smiling mouth. Kate was determined the mouth needed lots of teeth. Lots of teeny tiny pointed teeth both at the top and the bottom. She got as far as the top when I told her she was done. There was no way I was cutting through two inches of pale pumpkin flesh to make a dozen teeth in a row.
So I quickly cut two big teeth and a big mouth.
Kate took my change in plans surprisingly well. That was a shock. However she was pleased with the results and chose to enjoy the existence of her pumpkin rather then dwell on her mother not following her directions. It was a good choice and showed a streak of maturity that I seldom see in her.
Jane had an elaborate mouth with simple eyes and nose. It turned out very cute. Er, I mean SCARY. :-)
The twins were properly impressed with all three of them and hopefully don't freak out when they realize they're not on the table. I put them on the front steps after work.
YaY for Pumpkins!
No comments:
Post a Comment