Saturday, October 17, 2009

One Saturday, down the tubes!

The day started out fine, we went to the model train display this am. Once a month the model train club lets the public in to see the trains and well, we have boys that adore trains! With Greg on my shoulders, occasionally grabbing my face to turn my head *was not appreciated, Greg!* if I was going the wrong direction we wandered for about forty minutes.

The kids loved it.

Then my big plans included cleaning the kitchen and some canning. I have grape jelly to do along with applesauce. I wouldn't have finished the applesauce today but I could have put a big dent in my apples. Kent planned on some smallish chores and some good TV watching, since he's still feeling puny from his cold.

I made myself lunch after the trains. A nice salad with mushrooms, garden tomato and some shredded cheese. The salad just screamed for a little extra something, I decided beans. A little healthy protein would be great so I went to the storage room, stared at the shelves debating whether I was in the mood for Garbanzo or for black beans.

Garbanzos stood out and I reached to get the can off the shelf. My ever alert self finally realized there was water dripping from somewhere close by. I looked closely, saw one of the cardboard boxes on the shelf was wet. Started moving stuff around and realized a whole lot of the shelf was wet. Finally I reached the back of the shelf and couldn't see what was leaking but it was in the back behind two huge shelves full of food storage.

Great.

I called Kent to break the news that his plans for the day had changed. He was thrilled of course!

After Kent came home the chore of emptying the storage shelves began. This already large task was make even more cumbersome with the dodging and footwork required to step over and around five children and one dog determined to see what all the action was about. Thankfully the dog was put out and the children put to work, it only took twenty minutes or so to empty the shelves. They'll be super fun to reorganize too! Please note the sarcasm there.

The pipe that was leaking was soldered on one end, meaning some serious work and Kent doesn't own anything to solder with. He called his dad who was coming back into town after a morning at the temple. He would have to change clothes before coming down. Kent turned off the water and all the kids suddenly realized they were dying of thirst. Really, any moment they were going to keel over. Ean and Kate were the most dramatic, what a shocker!

Kent and I talked and decided that since we were going to have to take that pipe apart anyway, we might as well buy a water softener to go there. The area was already set up, there had been a softener there previously when we purchased the house, however it was a rental unit and just don't believe in renting and couldn't afford our own softener, so we've dealt with seriously hard water pretty much the whole decade we've been in the house.

I'm so tired of crappy glasses, the hard water just coats our dishes. A chance to get away from that! WOOT!

So after a very long afternoon and evening with several trips for parts, really loud children fighting over a big box and pizza from Costco (cause we had not water to cook with!) it finally got installed. YAY!!!

The day wasn't a complete loss. I did pick a whole lot of apples, and had kids pick apples at Marja's old house. Not that I know when I'll get to make applesauce!!

Completely off topic, I'll throw in that you should always check your pre-schoolers hand before letting them get on the bus, especially if you shared mini Altoids earlier in the morning during a rough spot. Do this every single time, because the one time you don't your three year old will take the Altoids to school, clutched in his fist and when his teacher sees it, she just might have a mini heart attack thinking it's a pill, cause it does look like a pill.

Don't ask me how I know this.

No comments:

Post a Comment