Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Power of LANGUAGE and the ensuing arguments

As with all of our children, speech has been a struggle. Well more acurately, speech with Jane, Kate and Ean has been a struggle. David and Greg have had language problems which due the abstract nature are much harder to understand and treat. Good clean articulation problems, man, I can do that! The language just not coming, or just not comprehending, I really have been at a loss on how to help them.

Really Jane had a bit of language too and it really impacted her learning. She still struggles with comprehension, especially when reading. She can read the words but not get a drop of meaning from a text. It makes school challenging to say the least.

I hope the twins don't have oncoming issues like Jane has but if they do, we'll do everything we can to help them, just like we do Jane.

My point in all this is to state that even though the twins are almost four language is really just emerging for them. Especially for Greg, projecting his wants and desires is a whole new world for him and it's exciting!!!

Along with the excitment is the confusion that results from two boys that don't have the best comprehesion and a limited ability to understand what's spoken to them. The results, even though it's frustrating for them, it's pretty funny for everyone else observing them. So their first big argument tackled with words and not pushing, shoving, biting or other forms of personal attack was on their names.

See, David knows his name is David and Greg knows his name is Greg. This actually was a concern for more as recent as four months ago. See they used their names interchangably not recognizing themselves as seperate individuals. Yeah, they got over that.

So much so they spent Thursday night declaring their seperate identies and getting mad their brother didn't understand. The dialog went pretty much as follows.

"NO, I DAVID!"

"NOoooo!!! I am Geg!"

"No No NO! I ih (is) David!"

Repeat repeat repeat for 10 minutes with escalating tone and anger and you pretty much get the whole picture.

*laugh*

I think it's pretty funny although I missed the exchange, it happened while I was work. The boys were kind enough to give me a private showing this am while waiting for the bus. This time instead of both stating facts they actually were fighting over seperate opinions! Cool, maybe they're evolving. :-) It was about the mini-van with one twin stating it was "Mommy's car" and the other saying it was "Daddy's car." As if the boys needed help, Ean tried to correct both of them. You know, cause there wasn't enough confusion that AM.

Of course the fun really begins now. As amusing as their exchanges are now, it won't take very long before they become very annoying. Throw in the their sibblings willingness to argue with three year olds, I'm wondering if I should buy more ear plugs.

The girls are both discharged from speech and have been for over a year but Ean is still in speech. So all three boys. Although the twin's language is challenging because language is a more difficult problem to deal with, Ean's speech teacher has a whole different problem even though his actual speech is very fixable.

She can't get him to stop talking long enough to correct what he says.

Life is fun. Kid do make it funner. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment