Taking a break from history, I thought I should update on the here and now. Today is the last day of spring break and honestly, I don't know how my mom survived when we were growing up. We actually had two breaks after Christmas, one in February and one in April. This one week has left me in doubt of my ability to parent all my children at the same time. When did this get so hard?
I have to remind myself that it will be easier in the summer, today is a chilly spring day and while the older kids are going in and out, it's been hard to keep the twins in. They love the outdoors. I need to buy new sunblock for summer, I've got to get in the habit of sun blocking the boys every morning now that they're going outside.
Talk about sensitive skin, I had one of those I'm a terrible mom moments when the twins were about five months old. We had a garage sale, something my husband has sworn we'll never do again. It was a warm sunny day around the end of May, first of June. The twins stayed outside with us and I kept them in the shade. Greg got blisters on his face, It was three or four all along his cheeks and the bridge of his nose. I felt terrible, I hadn't realized he could burn so easily.
This child also always has diaper rash. I love cloth diapering my kids but on him I've been using sposies the past four months just so I can coat his butt with a half inch of desitin. It seems to be the only thing that keeps the rash at bay. I shouldn't be surprised, sensitive tush did have a bleeding diaper rash in the nicu.
Oddly, it's just Greg that struggles, Dave doesn't have a problem with diaper rash, doesn't burn (unless it's my herbal tea off the counter, but I'll save that bad mom moment for another time).
Knowing his skin, that does make summer a little more scary. After all the boys will be outside playing with siblings, running, opening doors to let themselves out. Do they make an SPF 1000?
Other updates, yesterday David choked on a necklace. Ean ran and got me while yelling that Dave was choking. I arrived just as he was throwing up all the contents of his stomach and his sister's Easter necklace. The dog cleaned the carpet for me. I know, I try not to think about it. I made a big point of letting Ean know that he'd done the right thing. Ean is my true middle child stuck between identical younger brothers and big bossy sisters. He especially needs to know when he's done the right thing. He was very proud of himself for coming to get me. *smile*
Speaking of Ean, when you've vacuumed up ham base from then on when you use your vacuum it smells like bacon bits. It was a new bag so I have a month of bacon bits smell before I can change the bag.
I outta mention that Kate was very brave last night. /sarcasm She got a couple of glass slivers but dang, you'd think I was going to cut that girls foot off. The glass was from the kitchen plates that fell and shattered. I'm not sure what happened, Jane had the plates, Kate wouldn't move but two plates went kamikaze right when I was about to serve dinner. I have an arrangement with my neighbor where we alternate dinner on Thursdays and it was my Thursday to feed both families. There was a lot going on with Kate shrieking, Jane not getting her shoes, Kent vacuuming with an ode 'de bacon bits wafting after him.
Well I need to get back to telling about the twins. This is the first time I've ever tried to write the whole experience out. Whew!
No comments:
Post a Comment