There's so much to write on the boys but I need to keep up with the here and now too.
Last night Dave went to bed around ten. I was babysitting for a friend so she and her husband could go on a date. There wasn't any point in trying to get the twins down until after the extra three went home. So ten it was, a full two hours after their actual bedtime. Oh my, talk about cranky! But it was late so surely I thought the grouchies were because of that.
Oh my was I wrong! Got the other kids to bed and at 11pm I was ready to collapse! Someone started crying. I went and looked, it was Dave. Now the boys share a room so I can't just wait and see. I have to jump when someone wakes up or I'll have two 2 year olds awake.
Dave was upset but I nursed him, rocked him and he acted sleepy so I dumped him back into bed. Oh, I also made sure he wasn't poopy. There wasn't any reason for that boy to not snooze. I got ready for bed and just as I was about to crash, Dave was screaming again. This time he was inconsolable. Something was obviously wrong. My poor babe was sticking his fingers in his ears and sobbing. My lay mans diagnosis would be an ear infection. I rocked and held him, let him down, picked him up. I had that child from midnight until four am!!! Finally I got him to settle down enough to put him back into bed. The Tylenol I gave him seemed to be helping too. I waited a half hour to make sure he was asleep. I wasn't about to get comfortable only to have to haul my rear out of bed again! Of course that's when Kent woke up to get a drink "You should stay off the computer at four in the morning, you wouldn't be so tired." Thanks honey.
So this morning I walked around like death warmed over. Every question Kent asked me, I responded "whatever, today I don't care." I finally got the boys ready and took them to convenient care, the sub office from the hospital so you don't have to go to the emergency room. After the boys amused the waiting room by fake coughing anytime anyone coughed we got in and confirmed Dave has a double ear infection. Yeah, I could have called that one in the dark.
Greg was fine, just has a virus but I got a prescription for nystatin to treat the yeasty rash on his rear. The doctor suggested monastat (never heard of using that for a diaper rash?) but since the boys are on medicaid and we have no money coming in, I asked for the prescription.
Oh, did I say no money? Sorry, after four months without a paycheck, Kent's received *drum roll* a thousand dollar check. Yes the man is job hunting. Another major business is closing in town so the job prospects are getting to be less and less.
I took the twins to the pharmacy, tried to stop them from playing the maracas (aspirin bottles) while everyone chuckled except the Walgreen's employee that freaked when the boys were giving each other rides on the grocery cart. You know you fit perfectly underneath those mini-carts when you're only twenty-six pounds.
I came home to a mountain of dishes. I was going to do them last night but I ended up tending my double ear infection boy. While doing dishes the kids all announced they were starving. I gave them celery (sure, it doesn't really cure hunger but it keeps them busy until I can make real food.) I have a splitting headache and called my neighbor to ask (*cough*beg*cough*) her for caffeine. She had a cola in her fridge. WHOOT!
Caffeine is one of the few things that'll knock a fatigue headache out of the water for me. She borrowed carrots so I think we're even. *smile*
Kate decided to spit a wad of chewed up celery at her sister. Oh my hell. I swear I'm not raising that girl in a barn. I sent her downstairs to clean up the wad of food. She shrieked and hollered. She couldn't do it, she didn't want to do it, Jane must've thrown it away, she hated me, she hated the family.
I just did dishes and calmly stated that if she wanted to eat, she'd find that celery wad. "But I'm starving!! You can't do this, I hate this family, I want to eat NOW." The child is seven. Seven?! Oh we're going to have fun when she's a teenager. She didn't get away with it though. It took over an hour of dramatics but by the time I had lunch ready she found the wad of chewed celery.
I made grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. Kate knocked one of my glass liquid measuring cups on the floor, right in front of the stove where lunch was cooking. For some reason my broom was downstairs (It's carpeted downstairs ??? ) When I ran back upstairs I stepped on some glass, lurching forward to avoid putting weight on my foot, I grabbed the stove. Well, I thought I was grabbing the stove, I was really grabbing the hot pan I was cooking sandwiches in.
At this moment Jane's bugging me to serve her soup, as I'm holding my newly burned fingers, stepping on broken glass and trying to keep lunch from burning.
I just made no-bakes. It was time for chocolate. Seriously, if I drank, I'd be drinking now but since I don't, I'll settle for chocolate.
Just for the record anyone wanting to know what a pack of wild animals looks like circling their prey is welcome to watch my kids while no-bakes are cooling on the kitchen table.
My favorite pharmacist told me about using monistat for a baby's yeast diaper rash. But yay for medicaid when you really can't buy anything on your own!
ReplyDeleteOdd, all the diaper rash I've dealt with, I'd never heard of using monistat.
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping stuff changes so that the kids are only on medicaid this year. But yeah, right now we need it. *smile*