Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Huh, obviously this is going to well

or I really want to not do dishes. lol

Weaning. Such a simple word, such a simple concept, yet putting this verb into action alludes me. I spent 20 minutes today with two toddlers running to nurse because their brother was latched on and they didn't want to be left out. Heaven forbid!

Anyone familiar with my twins birth history can appreciate the irony that the little addicts firmly believe they own stock option on my nipples. The guys were preemies, born 8 weeks early, spending 3 weeks (Greg) and 3 1/2 weeks (David) in the Nicu. I pumped, they were tube fed for a week, worked up to bottle feedings and except for a few precious moments, didn't even get to really latch on in the nicu. We learned at home and it was a full month after they came home before we gave up the bottles and went full time nursing.

Teaching one preemie to nurse is challenging, teaching two, downright amazing, teaching twins to nurse with older sibblings in the house that needed their mom after she'd been on bedrest for three months with a high risk pregnancy, while fighting a painful yeast infection, a miracle.

So I worked for this torment, to have little people pushing and pulling at my breasts. Shoving each others heads because they want the tap their twin has. What was I thinking????

Seriously, I'll never regret the decision to nurse the monkeys, nor will I regret how hard I fought to get them my milk with all the bonus's that it provides. But I need to be done now. I need to claim my chest as my own, to be able to lay down on my bed or a couch without little people turning and running thinking it's an invitation for milkies.

I was ready to be done at a year however my boys weren't ready, especially David. He had issues with chewing and swallowing, he also projectiled vomited for almost 8 solid months. I did a lot of laundry that first year. Dave needed my milk, eating anything else caused vomiting. So I knew I needed to keep going. Thankfully we're past that issue, well past that issue. Heck the boys are even on the chart for weight now. How cool is that?! *cough* They're still not on the chart for hight. Unless they hit a mega growth spurt, I fear they may be as short as their mama. We'll have to see what happens.

My neighbor has offered to take the boys for three days in May, while her husband is out of town so they can wean. I'm seriously thinking of taking her up on it. Desperate times you know, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment