After the middle child's continuous behavioral problems, I am so happy to give some great school updates!
I'd like to start by expressing how impressed I am with the older girl's high school. A mere three days into school, I got word from the kid that her schedule had been changed. She was placed in Algebra, took a test, scored low and the placed in pre-algebra.
Now, it's not like I didn't try in middle school to change the girl's math but everyone involved in her education, especially the counselor that was over her wanted her in a higher math. She had rocked math in seventh grade and because of that everyone felt like she wasn't trying. Truth is I don't know why she did so well in seventh grade. It probably helped that she had a teacher that worked with her non stop, gave her extra time for tests, just really worked with her learning disabilities to help her succeed. The next year just didn't work for her.
I knew, with her history, it was time to step back but the school would not co-operate.
So the step to a lower math in ninth grade is good yet it still wasn't enough. She was moved a few days ago to a resource room math. Finally! She's a smart kid, she tries but school is hard and she's got a few things working against her. I see this as her getting what she needs and after all the tears through math last year and even a meltdown just last week over math, it's as it needs to be.
This change was followed up by a call by her adviser. It was a fantastic call. The teen's adviser was completely confused by the wording in the teen's IEP. She said it didn't make any sense and that she was going to rework the wording. I explained how the learning disability works, that when she reads something she can comprehend more but not retain. For fun, when she hears something she retains more but doesn't comprehend as well. Basically girlie needs to both hear instructions and receive instructions written down for the best results.
That is going to be put in her IEP. (I could have done cartwheels when I heard this.)
After her IEP is reworded, I will get a copy to review and sign and we send it back to school.
Other good news, the oldest is in mainstream English and it's in her file that she should go into creative writing next year. She's worked so hard on reading and writing, it will be so good for her. The teachers will just keep an eye on her and makes sure she can keep up in English.
The other good news, Miss Middle School had a back to school open house. Now I've had some really bad experiences with those back to school nights and *cough*theolderkid*cough* but this was so different. I was told that missy was a hard worker by every teacher that we met. I was also told that missy qualified for a remedial reading class, this same class the older kid took and thrived in! Her teacher said that he was working on getting her in that class, knowing the middle school like I do, it won't be easy. Hopefully she can be switched sooner then later.
All in all, good news for the older kids. I'm thrilled! This leaves my main worry, the behavior issues of the middle child.
I may survive this year after all. *smile*
No comments:
Post a Comment