Sunday, September 25, 2011

Unleavened Bread

Or rather unleavened breakfast cake.

Kent's most favorite food in the world is a baked good called "breakfast cake".  It's really a whole wheat coffee cake that his mom made for special occasions when he was a child.  My version of the original recipe is quite a bit tweaked but the result is a lighter, fluffier breakfast cake that Kent loves even more.

Jane's tried a number of times to make breakfast cake and she's done "okay" but it's never as good as I make it.  So she keeps trying.  Actually it would be more accurate to say that her dad keeps assigning her the job of making it.  She will figure out the finer points of baking, eventually.  Her skills didn't help today when she forgot the baking soda.

She blames her dad, see Kent was getting the ingredients out and putting them on the table.  Jane was measuring, dumping and stirring.  Kent didn't get out the baking soda, so Jane never put it in.

The resulting food, and I am using the term "food" really loosely here was more liked a really bad baked pudding.  If the breakfast cake didn't have so much butter in it, it would have been inedible.  Kinda like the pizza crust that was in the microwave to long.

Kent's making himself an egg sandwich for dinner right now.

I have to honestly say that I can relate.  When I was, probably about Jane's age, I attempted to bake a cake from scratch, with the help of my little brother.

That cake was amazing.  It was frisbee like in shape and density.  I could balance it on my finger, dead center and it didn't break or fall to pieces.  It had to be cut with steak knives.

It was a day I never forgot and I never ever made that mistake again.  So I'm hopeful that my dear girl learns from this.

Kent's planning on having her make another one next Sunday.

Apparently this one didn't cure his cravings.

1 comment: