Wednesday, September 7, 2011

First Official Day of Kindergarten!!

Milestones can be bittersweet.

Or, they can be a sweet sign of freedom, lol!

So my preemies had their first day of Kindergarten today and I've had a lot of people ask me how I was holding up. If I was ready to let them go. My answer has been, oh heck yeah!

I think I'd feel more bittersweet about my babies growing up if it hadn't been so hard when they were infants and toddlers. I mean, we have three boys 19 months apart. Do you realize that means for the first five months of the twins life we had three, yes THREE babies under two.

It was insane.

The first three years are mostly a blur. The first year there was lots of nursing, vomiting (projectile vomiting is pretty common for preemies.), laundry and trying to keep Ean from destroying anything and everything. I am not exaggerating. I've often joked that Ean was sent to us by the Lord to keep us humble by shedding us of our worldly possessions.

Boy was he good at it too! The destruction list is extensive but includes phones, keyboards, a VCR, more food then I could even start to list usually dumped in the kitchen, VCR tapes that were made into purses and handbags, yarn, crafts, SHEETS, the vanity in the downstairs bathroom (it's coated with so much nail polish you can't even see the color of the sink). This is just what I can name off the top of my head.

Add the appointments for the twins. The complications of that pregnancy added numerous potential birth defects. We had them tracked from birth on to catch any problems.

We were blessed and everything we've dealt with has been minor. Sure they've both had a year of physical therapy (walking at 20 months and 22 months) continuous language delays and help with all that via both the early learning program and the Head Start program. They've come a long way and I'm so proud of everything they've accomplished.

It has been a long journey and frankly I'm exhausted, physically and emotionally.

So showing them the kindergarten door, getting hugs and kisses, and then soaking in their excitement for a few minutes, utterly sweet.

Now matter how sweet, I find myself thinking, "wow, we actually survived."

So here's to continual survival and more milestones of course, as our miracle babies continue to conquer the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment