The twins school yesterday is in a more relaxed security mode. All persons entering the school must do so through the front door with the approval of a staff member. The doors to enter the building are locked and each mod door outside is locked.
The kids are not allowed outside with the exception of moving children to and from lunch from the mods, making for very long days in school and in the mods of course, almost stifling, since the classrooms door have to be locked. The school plans on keeping these security measures in place until the man that threatened one of the schools preschoolers is caught.
*sigh*
It's a crazy world. Just crazy.
I continue to send the boys to school, I know some parents are opting to keep their children home but honestly I don't feel like my boys are in danger.
The children are very normal in school. The extra security hasn't fazed them at all. Actually I had one little girl at lunch ask me if David and Greg each had their own beds.
Apparently identical twins throws the other children for a loop. David's class has a set of twins but their boy/girl twins so it's easy to identify them as their own persons. My guys are in the different classes, so it's confusing for the kids to see someone that looks an awful like their classmate. I heard a little boy from David's class tell his mom as he was going by me "Look mom, there are TWO Davids!!!!"
Seriously, I could have peed, I laughed so hard.
I let him know (quickly because they were headed out the door) that HE (pointing to Greg) was David's brother and his name is Greg.
I am glad they're in separate classrooms, that alleviates the whole "DavidGreg" thing they would have gone through if they'd been together.
On the home schooling front, I think we're doing alright. It's nice to have the math curriculum. We spent a lot of time yesterday working on reducing fractions.
I hadn't realized that Jane needs to have a system to write and figure everything out. I do so much in my head, I completely missed this aspect of how she learns. Once I showed Jane how to write out multipliers for the numerator and denominator and then find the highest number that goes into both, followed by dividing in, THEN she could reduce the fractions. Even the simplest, you just need to halve, 3/6 eluded her without mapping out each step.
I'm glad I decided to just start at the beginning of the math book. I have a feeling we need all the extra instruction we can get.
It's a bit of a challenge to get Jane to write as well. But we're working on it. And I was all set to have Jane send her letter off to her pen pal and we don't' have envelopes, Kent says don't buy them, he can get free envelopes and I *exasperated sigh* don't have envelopes. It's frustrating, and I know I need to be more proactive (hey honey, don't forget the envelopes!) but but but, it's been a crazy week and I haven't remembered myself.
One thing I have done to actually take care of myself, and get rid of some stress is swimming. Now I'm not a swimmer, actually I have a pretty healthy phobia of deep water and hate getting my face wet. When I was a child, another child, a boy held me underwater as a joke. When I say phobia of deep water, I. am. not. joking. My fear runs pretty deep of drowning.
However the pool at the gym is five feet at it's deepest part, I think I can handle that.
Mom, Jane and I swam laps Tuesday and Thursday. Boy we were baaaaaaad. Well not so much Jane but mom and I just suck at swimming. Our strokes are bad, we huffed and puffed at the end of every pool length, had to take a breather before going again. Pitiful are we. *laugh*
Jane needs a physical education like activity and putting myself out of my comfort zone, acknowledging that my gym membership is paid for, I might as well use it. I think we'll keep swimming twice a week until the membership runs out. I don't know if I can put face in the water. Really, it's harder then I can describe.
We did find out the gym has dropped the price of their swim lessons, so I'm going to sign the boys up for January. I don't want my water phobia to shed onto my children, I want them to have a healthy respectful relationship with the water. And I better get them in while I still have the discount.
So that's my little bit of everything blog for today. I didn't even touch some of my recent work stuff. No time, no time...
I have a phobia of deep water and having my face in the water too. I can swim if I am wearing goggles and I am by steps, I mean over steps. I need to be able to grab something solid if I need to or I will totally panic. If you can swim in 5 ft water you are doing better than me. Good for you for fighting yours head on! You inspire me.
ReplyDeleteMurky lake water has a much bigger fear factor then pool water.
ReplyDeleteThe deep end in a pool I avoid. Swimming in lakes, uh yeah, I'll wade but that's it.