Tuesday, November 17, 2009

*******LOCK DOWN******

Usually when you go to your child's preschool and you see two cop cars in the main parking lot, a whole lot of people out front and officers going to cover the road on both sides of the school, it's not a good thing.

This was the sight that met my eyes about two and a half hours ago when I went to volunteer in David's class. However I was driving up *right* at the beginning of the lock down and simply walked around the building to the boys classrooms in the mods behind the main building where I stood and waited outside their door. The secretary saw me and asked what I was doing, letting me know that I need to be in a classroom, no one is allowed outside.

Okay, now I know.

So she was headed into Greg's room to communicate with the teachers, three of their students (including Greg) were in a lab in the main building. I followed her in, and signed up to volunteer figuring they needed all the help they could get.

Sooooo, the school was under a code blue, a complete lock down, and I waited around the side of the building and followed the secretary in essentially completely disregarding the lock down. I don't know if I should be proud or embarrassed. :-)

The lock down happened at an extremely awkward time, it was time for lunch, past time for lunch actually and the kids knew their schedule was off. Miss Pam and Miss Karen sung some songs, had the children write in their journals and the school officials worked with the police to provide escorts so the youngsters could be fed.

I was there only an hour and a half but it felt like five. Not a move could be made without approval and a large portion of the time, Greg was in lock down somewhere else. It was really nerve wracking. I *knew* he was fine but still, mommy panic sets in, how could it not. You want to see and touch your baby. I kicked myself for leaving my cell in the car, but knew I couldn't leave the building and come back.

So I stayed and eventually Greg was brought back with his class THRILLED to see me. He even had a little time to eat his pizza.

Talk about odd, the classroom was left with puzzles on the floor. The kids were brought back to the classroom after lunch only long enough to get coats and backpacks. Parents were escorted to cars. Parents had to sign a form from the police before entering the building. I missed that part, because, well, I had snuck in, but I heard someone else talking about it.

To the staffs credit, the students were unaware for the most part that something was going on. I call that amazing. I think the teachers call it nerve wracking. :-)

I heard talk that tomorrow the school will be under lock down as well. I wish I knew the full story on what brought this about.

1 comment:

  1. That is a bit nerve wracking isn't it? I am dying to know so let us know when you find out. I am glad everything was ok.

    ReplyDelete