I got a call yesterday from Jane's speech teacher and I have a meeting on Friday about Jane. The good news is she's doing great! She did extremely well in all the tests and she doesn't qualify for speech anymore. Actually she hasn't really qualified the past couple of years but they kept her on to make sure she'd get resource room under the speech umbrella. She was having problems with language, tenses and still has problems with vocabulary and comprehension but reading my Calvin and Hobbes books seems to have helped.
She also doesn't qualify for resource room anymore, thankfully everyone that's been involved in her education this year (that includes speech teacher, resource room teacher and classroom teacher) agrees that she's not ready to go without it. She's extremely delayed in language comprehension, it'd be like throwing her to the wolves to put her in a regular classroom full time. I am so grateful I don't have to fight for what she needs. We've really been blessed with the staff of this particular school.
So she won't have an IEP but there's another statute she'll fall under. I'm not sure how it works, but I'll be sure to update next week on how our meeting went and how this statute works.
Under the IEP we were able to make sure she had preferential seating, assignment length adjusted, Jane is easily overwhelmed, and modified curriculum from the resource room. She's excelled this year academically bringing home three A's, one B and one C on her report card. You have to realize this forth grader started out the year barely reading at a second grade reading level with no retention almost immediately after reading. She's come a long way this year. I'm so very proud of her.
*nervous sigh*
I want her to succeed, in whatever she does. She works so hard and she's such a joy. I hope she realizes all her wonderful qualities. I need to do better at telling her what she does well. Those awkward teen years are around the corner. I hope I'm doing enough to get her ready.
I have a confession. I was slow in school too. But I really caught up in 4th grade. It was a year of a lot of growth for me. Congratulations to her for all her progress. YOu must be both proud and relieved.
ReplyDeleteThank you, I am very proud of her. She's just grown leaps and bounds this year.
ReplyDeleteThird grade was so rough, I'm very happy fourth grade has gone so well.