Friday, May 9, 2008

It's official, Jane is no longer elegible for special services.

Basically Jane scored just above the cut off. While this means she's definitely improved academically she's not at the point where either I or the teachers involved at the meeting feel comfortable with her full-time in a regular classroom.

Her I.Q. measures 88 right now. This is the very low end of normal. However I.Q.'s at this age still are growing and she has the potential to measure much higher in a few years with the right kind of instruction and supervision. Oddly she scored dramatically well at non-language related problem solving. It was suggested that the girl be an engineer with how she thinks. I'm keeping that in mind. *smile* She scored just above impaired (so no qualifying) with language reception, auditory processing and very low with math skills.

Legally she no longer can have an I.E.P. This is very scary for me. An I.E.P. guarantee's that legally a school has to provide services for the child. Instead she'll be under an I-plan. Mostly it's a guideline the school follows but the school can change it and other schools don't have to honor it. Actually it's a bit of a concern but the local middle schools are behind in meeting the needs of these kids that can slip through the cracks. Luckily we have a full two years before Jane's in middle school. Hopefully we can get her up to speed where she can function in a regular classroom by seventh grade.

No matter what happens with our income, we need to stay in this house in this neighborhood for at least two more years so Jane can get this help that the staff at her current school is willing to give her.

If it had been just a few years ago, once she failed to qualify they would have just cut her loose. Thankfully they aren't going to do that this time.

So the plan, Jane will no longer have scheduled resource room. However where her speech teacher has been her "caseworker" the resource room teacher will take over this job. The RR teacher will be in charge of Jane's math classes since that's where she's the most behind. She scored at about a second grade level. Where she's been going to resource for reading, she'll now do that in her regular classroom however the RR teacher will check Jane's assignments daily to make sure she's written down what she needs to do.

Oh, yeah, Jane will have an assignment book to help her keep track of what she's doing in school. This will have to be signed by me after school so I can help keep her on track at home. She's really good at spacing assignments, so this will give her a coping mechanism as school gets more complicated.

I felt good about the meeting.

I dropped by Kate's classroom to check and see how she's doing. Apparently her behavior is better but she's still not completing assignments. I stressed that she needed to bring them home. The twins are napping when Kate comes home from school and I have that time set aside for one on one school work with Kate. I'm glad I took the extra minute to check in with her teacher.

That leaves just Ean. It looks like he won't qualify for Early Learning next year but I'm pretty sure he'll get into head start. What they'll do is pull him out for speech while he's in head start.

WHEW~ I don't know why the Lord has placed these particular children in our lives but I do know they're suppose to be here and with God's help Kent and I can help them reach their potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment