This is what I asked Ean at about one pm. His birthday is Monday and I wanted to make his birthday cake. My little boy that's turning four whole years old looked at me for about a second before blurting out with great enthusiasm CHOCOLATE!!!!
What's a mom to do?
Since I had no desire (or money, *laugh*) to leave the house and buy cocoa powder, I borrowed some from my neighbor. Ean proudly helped with all the measuring and stirring of his birthday cake. He greased the pans, measured the flour and sugar and was very upset when I did the leavening because he's not very precise and I did want the cake to rise like it's suppose to.
After all, if you're a teensy bit short of flour or sugar, you're cake won't fail. I added more flour while mixing to make up an obvious shortage, but there's not much you can do if it doesn't rise in the oven.
I didn't have enough cocoa for the frosting so I made peppermint frosting and Ean stressed the importance of his birthday cake having rainbow sprinkles on it. Sounds good to me! So after frosting I sprinkled rainbow sprinkles liberally over the top. The cake now sits in the freezer waiting for Monday. I still need to wrap the kid's lightning McQueen themed presents.
Kent thinks I went overboard and I probably did but dang, sometimes I feel so bad for my true middle child sandwiched between bossy older sisters and time consuming twin brothers. Ean has a ball and not just any ball but a really tough rubber ball that reminds me of the dodge balls we played with as kids during recess. It has heavy duty patterned rubber that you'd have to stab with a steak knife to pierce. In this house that's important, my kids are pretty rough on stuff, it has to be built to last.
I also bought him washable markers. I wasn't born yesterday and Ean did come after two artistic sisters that have already left their mark in pretty much every room in the house. I also included crayons and a pencil box in the hopes that we could keep them safe from the girls who routinely scatter stuff all over the house. The twins have eaten more crayons then any other child simply because the girls neglect to put them away. So, I plan on labeling the box and hopefully this works, at least for a little will.
I also got Ean several Lightning McQueen posters to color. He doesn't get to color very often, his sisters often take over what he's trying to do. Our neighbor bought him a lightning McQeen shirt, bless her wonderful heart. Add in the towel (with you know who printed on one side!) and a couple of small cars, Ean's got a pretty decent haul. Nothing truly extravagant but he should feel pretty darn special.
Isn't that the point?
He's a good kid. Oh he frustrates me, his curiosity often gets the better of him. He explores, experiments and oh the energy that child has! But he's sincere and loving too. He's bluntly honest like most children his age and man does he say the funniest things. He was the least verbal of all the kids (Twins included) at age of two, speaking maybe three words total so I truly am enjoying him as the world of language has opened up.
Of course he also tells me NO and LET ME DO IT! He's figured out that words have power but he hasn't figured out that messages can also be understood softly. Then again, his sisters haven't figured that out either and they've got years more experience then he does.
In the past year he's gone from being being developmentally behind to being caught up. It's amazing, if he was a year old he'd be ready for kindergarten in the fall. He may be my most prepared kid yet, of course he has the most intervention. Darn ears were broken and I didn't even know it. Tubes are his friend, it's hard to learn to talk when you can't hear.
So now I know, when faced with applesauce spice or carrot cake the answer is of course chocolate.
No comments:
Post a Comment