Sunday, May 25, 2008

Kate can ride a two wheeler!

At the age of seven, we took off her training wheels. It took her a whole two seconds to figure it out!!! Holy Toledo, absolutely amazing!!

You have to understand that it took Jane forever to figure out bike riding. Jane was about a year older then Kate is now but she was so afraid, she had a hard time balancing, it took months to get her riding. What finally worked was putting her on Kate's bike without the training wheels and then allowing her to go. Because the bike was so short she could put her feet down flat on the ground when she was in trouble.

Hard on her sneakers but it did the trick and the girl learned how to ride.

Kate's a daredevil in her heart but she's learned to be timid from her older sis. Kate use to climb up the top of the woodpile at eighteen months. From a year until three or so, she use to climb on the arm of our rocking love seat and surf. The child was fearless! It was frustrating when she started to act timid because in my heart I knew that wasn't who she was. It was very freeing to see her just go and ride without a care in the world her first try.

Don't get me wrong, Kate has her problems too.

*cough*notdoingschoolwork*cough*

The biggest one of late has been this raiding of the fridge and cupboards. This actually is an old problem. That child is sneaky with food. She has been since she was teeny. I really worry because I've struggled in the past with my eating, I've binged and starved many years ago and I've worried and struggled trying to instill healthy eating habits in my children. They all eat a wide range of vegetables well beyond iceberg lettuce and baby carrots. They all eat sugar pea pods like candy, ask for seconds and sometimes thirds when served broccoli. I know I'm doing something right there, but I see my food behaviors/struggles in my children and it scares me.

My dad was an alcoholic. He never changed before his death, he couldn't change. Coming from a whole family of alcoholics, there's a strong correlation between my unhealthy attitudes with food and how addicts behave. Both food and alcohol are artificial ways to avoid dealing with real feelings.

I don't want to project onto my children but honestly it scares me to see Kate sneaking cookies and not just one or two but a dozen. She feels compelled to eat and she's not honest when she does eat.

There's also a certain amount of mischief from the small boys. Just browsing in the fridge for toys, oranges make great balls you know.

All this prompted my husband to put a padlock on the fridge. I want the kids to understand that they can have snacks but they have to ask. We were having one pound blocks of cheese disappearing. With the prices of groceries, we just can't have that. The kids need to be respectful and not wasteful. I hope I can do that without my personal struggles getting in the way.

In the meantime, Kate already has plans for tomorrow. She's riding her bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment