Saturday, November 12, 2011

If You are Bothered Please Don't Read

Apparently some of my words are bothersome to family members and they would like me to use more caution in expressing myself.

May I kindly suggest that you don't read my words.  Do not read if my frank honesty bothers you.  Do not read if acknowledging my children's shortcomings will cause you worry for them and their self esteem.  Suggesting that I sensor myself will be ignored by all except my husband.  When I am really concerned about content, I read it to him first and ask his opinion.

Believe or not, I try to be discreet and sensitive to most issues I write about.  Anyone that reads this has no idea what I leave out.  My point right now is not to talk about what's not written, but to discuss what is written.

My children have short comings and believe me, I'm aware of them.  I'm also aware of their incredible strengths and the strides and growth we've been privilege to take part in over the years.  Without some reference to the bad, I don't think the good can be appreciated.  The milestones don't have nearly the impact without some knowledge of the journey.

Boiled down, I'm not justifying my words.  I'm not making excuses.  I'm sharing  a journey as a mother of five children with very real challenges.  I share to hopefully give hope and insight to other parents as well as the wonderful feedback I get from those that have "been there" and "done that".

So, if this bothers you.  Don't read.  I am not sugar coating what I say.  To do so would lesson the value of what's constantly being learned in our home.  It's sometimes not pretty.

But it's very real.

2 comments: