I can't say that Christmas is ever bad, spending time with family, friends, rejoicing in our Savior, it all makes for a good day but sometimes Christmas is exhausting.
I think part of that is self inflicted. How much can we cram into those four weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas day. How many parties, family events, cookies to bake, shopping to do, caroling to sing, school concerts to attend can one family survive? I'm exhausted just listing it all out.
We had more help this year then previous. I was amazed at how smoothly dinner plans for today went and how easy and relaxed Christmas eve was with my eager beaver teen and tween elves bringing in all the presents from the garage and putting them under the tree. They worked their fannies off cleaning too, so the house could be pleasant and enjoyable Christmas morning.
They were invaluable. Thank you Jane and Kate for making Christmas eve and Christmas day absolutely enjoyable. I am so proud of the women you are becoming.
My plan on simplifying our gift giving didn't work quite like I wanted. We still ended up with more then the kids needed but they really had two bigger gifts and then a bunch of smaller things that were mostly collected over the past year. Books, coloring pads, crayons, pipe cleaners for Kate, that sort of stuff. Then there was a few desperately needed items that were bought dirt cheap and wrapped for Christmas just because unwrapping is fun!
Each of the boys received a set of Angry bird sheets, we were sorely lacking in twin size sheets. They also were gifted the thickest, extra large, fuzzy blankets I've ever seen. Also Angry bird themed.
I'm thinking I should have picked up one for myself!
The girls each received a much needed pillow. Costco had twin size, memory foam cluster pillows. I have loved my memory foam pillows and at $10.00 for two, it was killer price.
Each child had their favorites. Kent scored a Sega gaming system that Ean loves. I think the chance to go and decompress in his room could really help our behavior issues. Then of course the most excitement was the last two gifts opened. We saved the twins cranes for last.
Squeals and shrieks! It was awesome!
What I really enjoyed was my children going to so much effort for each other. The girls especially put in an unbelievable amount of effort into every gift they gave. It was beautiful. Watching them smile as their gifts were opened.
I think for me, that was what pushed a good day into a great day.
Merry Christmas.
No comments:
Post a Comment