Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Two Steps Forward

Everyone knows how the saying goes and like everyone else, our family moves forward and slips back.  Case in point, at one time, we were reading our scriptures together as a family, having family prayer but that has slipped away from us and it's time for a conscience decision on our (my) part to change this. 

Excuses lie everywhere and the truth is with Kent's schedule, it's not always possible to get everyone in the same room, but what excuse do I have, as a stay at home mom with the kids all day? 

I was struck by our Relief Society lesson Sunday and the words spoken by Sister M. as she asked "What could we give up to read the scriptures?"  As I stared at facebook Monday, those words jingled in my head and I turned off the computer and called all the kids in to pray and to read.  It's a challenge since I have two boys, both determined that they should exclusive rights to lap.  And no, I'm not talking about both of the twins either.  The bigger boy needs to be next to me to stay focused.

Speaking of which, we're going to see the doctor today for physicals and I'm going to express my concerns about his behavior and get a referral to have him tested for ADHD and talk about our other behavioral concerns.  It's a long story but basically without the structure of school, he's just been out of control.  I already made the appointment at the psychologist's office, this is just the obligatory referral to satisfy insurance.  As my mom stated, the kid just isn't happy, and it's heartbreaking to see him miserable 90% of the time. 

So I'm calling "uncle" and readily admitting I have done everything in my power to parent this child without meds and other interventions without the situation improving.  His meltdowns and lashing outs aren't better then from when he was four.  I had hoped as he aged and matured he'd outgrow this behavior but he just hasn't.

He's such a neat kid.  He has such potential.  I hope today we start to open doors to unlock that potential.

Luckily we have a vehicle to drive today, since there are doctors appointments to go to, see last night on the way from swimming, I was rear ended.

My first thought "But I *insert whiny voice in my head* used my turn signal"   For us, it was the absolute best scenario for a fender bender.  The suburban, tank that it is came out almost without a scratch.  The only visible damage, is the plug for the hitch is now in about an inch more under the fender.  The kids literally skipped home.  Since I had turned onto our neighborhood, I let the kids out of the car and had several embarrassing minutes where they admired the damage to the minivan that hit us.

The other guy wasn't as lucky regarding damage.

Then Ean asked if he could go home, I made sure he knew which way to go and sent the twins with him.  Then there was the obligatory, waiting for the police and filling out of insurance cards and such.

I felt kinds bad for the other driver.  Not only was this his second accident in a week (the other one wasn't his fault), but there was very visible damage to his car and he is the father of a sixteen year old that is learning how to drive, who will gleefully give him crap for some time.

So onward and forward.  Counting blessings, working on faith and continuing to help children.  Isn't that the definition of being a mom?  

No comments:

Post a Comment