Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Bitter Sweet

Today was the last day of Head Start for the twins. While I love watching them grow, saying goodbye to the wonderful people that nurture, influence, LOVE my children is always hard. Of course the boys don't understand. They're still so young, memories of head start will fade except for little bursts here and there.

At least that's how it is for me. I was a head start kid. I remember making candles in the sandbox. Picking dandelions for the Guinea pig that was in the classroom. I remember the purple dinosaur slide. I adored the purple dinosaur slide.

I asked mom if she remembers my teachers and she said she sure does. We as parents do the remembering of those that give their all to the children.

I love both of the boys teachers and the aids. Pam and Karen, oh my, I was so excited to find out they would have Greg! Of course, four for Ean was very difficult. He's such a good kid but he's easily frustrated, not always able to express himself and STUBBORN. *laugh* He was even more so at four. Really his communication had just taken off the year before, so the beginning of the year was a little hairy. There were some wonderful children in his class that really struggled even more then he did.

However Pam and Karen took them all on, and boy it was fun to watch them grow and mature. So to have them switch ages to the three year olds and then get Greg, who is very much like Ean personality wise, was a blessing. Actually there were a few times when Greg and David were with me and Pam would gaze at them and talk to them while telling me "I want one". Meaning of course, I want one in my class.

Dawn only had this year at head start but I feel awful lucky David got her. Dawn and JoAnn were a wonderful team and the joy they received from working with the kids was so darn obvious. I love that about them!!!

Ean's last day is tomorrow. Ms. Bangs has had all of my children so far in Kindergarten. She has the patience of a saint but is also extremely firm with boundaries and expectations. I'd love both the twins to have her as well when we reach that point but I don't think that's possible.

I really need to do some more planning over the weekend so while the girls are summer schooling, I have appropriate stuff the guys as well. I think if we work hard Ean could well be into reading before first grade. If I can get him to slow down that is.....

So the bitter sweet.

It's been a wonderful year.

No comments:

Post a Comment