Friday, December 12, 2008

Playing catch up, This, That and Everything.

My friend Kim is visiting until Sunday, as always it's wonderful to see her. We've been friends for a very long time. Actually we met when we were twelve at girls camp. Through church activities over the teenage years we kept in touch. We've cried through many bad men experiences and during my mission I broke the rules and arranged a fifty minute phone call because going a year and a half without talking was to much to bear.

Kim is single, has never been married, has no children and has always desired a life exactly opposite of what she has. She's grown to embrace the hand given to her but her biological clock is ticking and it pains me to see her realize that biological children may not happen.

I think that's why she enjoys coming here so much. She loves my children dearly and with the exception of Kate (who would not be charmed by Kimmy's energetic and fun nature as a baby, she did eventually warm up and now adores Kim.) all the others have warmed up fairly quickly to her visits. This time round Greg and David played shy for only 20 minutes or so before realizing what an inviting lap Kim has and that she'll gladly sing and play at the drop of a hat. She charms the little people and most certainly has charmed mine.

Kim will cheerfully change diapers, help someone with homework and load my dishwasher.

More important, she's there, no matter what. I know I can call, gripe, cry (and we have a long history of very good cries *laugh*) and she'll love me unconditionally.

In observing my children, Kim's commented on the boys delays, observing that they are extremely behind in speech. She commented looking at Greg that it'd sure be nice to know what was going on in your head. I would have to agree.

Speaking of speech, the boys will start Early Intervention January sixth. That's a Tuesday, they'll go Tuesday and Thursday from 8:00 am until 10:30 am. They can ride the bus both ways, the school district is legally obligated to provide transportation but due to the early hour, and the school being a whole five minutes away, Kent will drop the boys off to school and they will ride the bus home afterwards.

I have agreed to having the twins in separate classrooms. Apparently there's strong ideas on whether twins should be together or apart in school. Personally I feel it depends on the twins. No decision should be made without knowing the children involved. For my twins, being apart feels like the right decision. My boys do not suffer any anxiety from being apart and with Greg being less verbal with David, I want Greg to get more stimulation then he gets with his twin. David of course understands him perfectly, through whatever unseen twin connection they share. Being with others will hopefully give Greg a greater desire to communicate.

Ean was in early intervention and thrived there, easily testing out of the program by the end of the year (he still has an IEP for speech). I strongly suspect that Dave will do the same. Not the end of the this semester, that's only four months of school but by the end of next year.

I'll put in applications for head start in the spring. Who knows, maybe the boys will do both. I'm willing to wait and see.

Ean will start Kindergarten in the fall. I can't believe how grown up he's getting. Still have times when I can't understand him, but he is getting very grown up.

While blogging Greg decided to perform some kind of experiment involving dehydrated carrots, baking powder and my hot air popcorn popper. Not wanting to waste I just spent fifteen minutes sifting the carrots out of the baking powder. I wonder if Greg's mischievous nature comes from not being able to communicate, and the boredom that follows.

Anyway, it's cleaned up, I've updated the boys, Kim's loading my dishwasher and I have to take Ean to school. Kent picked him up and forgot his backpack. Head Start won't allow kids on the bus without their head start backpacks.

Dumbest rule ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment