This included letting me know where I was confused on how to set up the tree.
Luckily Kent had multiple trees because the first box I opened was missing part of the stand. I had the tree branches sorted, the box was empty and there were only two parts of the stand. Lovely. So out came the other tree and we combined the two for one frankentree. It didn't look bad.
Kent proceeded to drag out some lights, I found some garland and with my helpers pulling and tugging, I wrapped white lights around the whole tree and with the one colored strand, loosely zig zagged it up the front. The effect was charming. A white lighted background with sporadic dots of color. I really liked it. Of course there was one corner segment that was blinking. The kids liked that... *laugh*
Then I took out my garland, white with silver dots, and wrapped the whole tree. The effect went from charming to stunning. Suddenly our tree looked as if it was covered in snow with lights peaking out from behind. I finally took my Swedish flag garland that I'd made four or five years ago and put that on. It really didn't fit but I wanted something personal on the tree. We were not digging our keepsake ornaments out. Absolutely not. I want to keep those as long as possible and well, I know my boys.
Kent moved the kitchen tv and dvd player into the front room and we watched Kim's copy of Wall-E, while constantly reminding Kate that if she made "Wall-E" noises, she'd get sent to bed. Well almost everyone watched. Greg was asleep on the floor and I went for a walk. My legs were itching for movement and I had to spend a little time away from my children. I love them dearly but it had been a long day.
I came back before the movie was over, changed Greg while Kent informed me I was a miracle worker because I got him ready for bed including teeth being brushed without him getting ticked at being disturbed. I think Kent was just buttering me up so he won't have to do it next time. Finally some very tired kiddo's went to bed.
Saturday was a big day. We were having a big girls day out at the local rotary club's sponsoring of the nutcracker. Kate's a wanna be ballerina so this was a very big deal for her. Marja, her daughter Maryah, Marja's friend Melonie and Melonie's two children along with Kim and my girls all sat together to watch the performance. We sat far left right in front of the stage. The bad, we weren't able to see the footwork in the last 2/3rds of the stage however we did get to see expressions as the performance progressed and that was amazing. Also, we were five feet away from the Rat King coming out of the stage. Talk about children with big eyes!!!! There was smoke blowing towards us and he towered right above us before starting in his part. I loved it. *smile*
By the time the Sugar Plum Fairy came on, Kate was whispering a wardrobe wish list. She had at least a half dozen dance costumes on her list, hopefully when she had her recital in January, her costume is uber girlie and pink, being pink would help.
We rounded out the performance with ice cream at Farr's. I know, snow on the ground, bitter wind but I suggested ice cream. All those fun flavors at only a buck a cone, it's hard to turn it down. I went ahead and treated everyone. Not that we're swimming in the dough but I seldom get to "do" nice things for my friends and this seemed like a great opportunity. Not to mention I actually had money in my wallet and it was burning a hole in my pocket.
When we arrived home, I noticed that the garland on the tree looked a little rough. Sure enough, the tree had taken four headers while we were gone. Kent, of course, had to grab the camera.



You may notice the tree is actually facing different directions in several pictures, it's as if the boys tried to "steer" the tree. Also, Jesse looks pretty desperate trying to say Honest, it wasn't me. *laugh* Here we have proof why we didn't go all out. We knew, KNEW this would happen. Maybe next year we can put the pretty tree and decorations up again. We'll have to see.
The other big happening while we were at the Nutcracker. Poor Ean thought it was incredibly unfair that he was left out. Kent said he cried for a half hour, how sad is that???? So Kent in his infinite daddy wisdom, took the tops off two broken VCRs and let Ean go to town. Kent said he was at it for five hours at least.



Does that boy's daddy understand his son or what?? *laugh*
The weekend finished off with sending Kim on her way, and going up to Kent's parents where Jane occupied herself by making a fifteen foot paper chain for the Christmas tree.
I'm not making any bets if it'll survive until Christmas.
Are you Swedish then? COngratulations on joining the "Fallen Tree" club. OUr new cats knocked over ours, my sister in-laws son knocked over hers. and who knocked over yours if you were all gone?
ReplyDeleteI went on a year long exchange my senior year, and then served my mission in Sweden.
ReplyDeleteSo nope, not Swedish. But I make some mean Swedish pastries and occassionally accidently sing a line of a hymn in Swedish.
I don't think that qualified as actually "fallen" It was more like attacked. lol
Oh the twins knocked it over. I was gone with the girls, all the men (big and little were here at the house.
ReplyDeleteLisa your stories are great. Chaos and humour- I feel your pain!
ReplyDelete-Ean
Thanks Ean, it's great (or should I say Gr8? lol) to see you!
ReplyDelete