Thursday, October 18, 2012

The After School Program

I haven't ever had a child involved in the after school program but it was recommended that the twins go.  Mostly for academics but it turns out there's a lot more.

The program happens full days of school (so no program on half days) Monday through Thursday until 5:00pm.  The first hour or so is devoted to school work.  It's a safe spot kids can do their homework and get help academically. 

Greg is slowly falling behind in school and this seems like a good way to get him a little more help, plus there's the chaos at my house.

What?

Chaos?

You heard me.  I'd like to invite anyone that's met my middle son, to try and imagine helping other kids with homework with him around.  It is that bad.  Plus, the girls need so much help with their school work.  I have to be available to help and the twins often slip through the parenting cracks.  I simply cannot be there for everyone after school when there's so many needs to be met.

Exactly why I never opted to homeschool my kiddos so many years ago when it became clear how many interventions they would be needing.

Now concerning Greg, we did discuss during a teacher/parent meeting that Greg has an IEP where he's being monitored by the resource room.  It shouldn't be hard to get another meeting and place and change that already existing IEP.  His teacher and I both agree that's not needed at this point, but I wanted her to be aware that if we need to, that's an option down the road.

So back to the after school program, yesterday was the twins first day.  Apparently Greg cried for me, just wanting his mother.  Even with his twin there, he had a hard time.  I know it'll get better, he does adjust but out of all my kids, Greg is my mama's boy.

The teacher asked me if he struggled be away from me and I mentioned his nickname was "Velcro boy."   So, er, yes!  He has been known to be a little clingy. 

Today will be better, now that he knows what to expect.  Once he realizes how much fun he'll be having and the guys both have new friends, they'll love it.  The older girls especially seem enamored with the six  year old miniature red headed twins.  So lots of new friends.

And a few admirers.   *smile*

No comments:

Post a Comment