Wednesday, March 17, 2010

No no, it WAS the Leprechaun...

Today is St. Patricks day. Well at least, what's left of today. We made sure the kids had green to wear to school. And for most of the kids, it was a normal day but David's head start teacher had big plans.

BIG PLANS.

I went to volunteer and spent the day with Dave. After Breakfast and the usual routine of shapes, colors, dates and weather, Miss Dawn talked about Leprechauns. She told the children that another teacher had mentioned seeing a Leprechaun in the cafeteria.

Now before you roll your eyes to much, let me assure you Miss Dawn is VERY convincing. *laugh*

She had the children use their special leprechaun lens, which oddly resembled decorated tp rolls, to help follow the leprechauns path.

Earlier while the children were on the carpet for circle time, Miss JoAnn, the teaching assistant had gone outside and sprinkled a path of gold sparkles for the children to follow. It was a beautiful day and Miss Dawn had all 15 of her lemmings at her heals excitedly following the gold path.

Well, Tiffany and I went to work. We tipped chairs, dumped some toys, made little green footprints on the table, dumped some green dye in the toilet and hid the gold. We barely got done when the children came back. I was laying on the floor and told them I "almost" got the leprechaun but he was to fast!! Off the children went to survey the mess and the green toilet was a hit. *chuckle*

The gold was found and I believe the children were completely snookered. Everyone except my child that is.

As the children played at Stations, David sat next to me and he said very serious "Mom, You made a B I G M E S S in my room. " *blink* He repeated himself three more times, just in case I was under any mistaken belief that he had fallen for game.

He then told Miss Dawn "My mom, she made a BIG BIG BIG MESS in my CassROOM." That's classroom if you don't follow Dave speak. :) Miss Dawn assured him it was the Leprechaun and David promptly corrected her, "No, dat was my mom!"

The funniest was when it was time to go home and I heard David telling Greg how naughty mommy was making a mess in his cassroom. He told Greg about the green "pee" in the toilet, how he fixed (he had flushed the dye out) the toilet, about the books and chairs all over the floor and how some toys were dumped.

My mom suggested that maybe David's surety was because of the emphasis of not making a mess in our home. I personally believe it has more to do with out attitudes about the make believe. We "play" make believe, play Santa, play the tooth fairy but we openly talk about how it's fun to pretend.

Whatever the reason, Dave is no fool.

No comments:

Post a Comment