Friday, October 10, 2008

Parent teacher conferences yesterday

I went to my girls parent teacher conferences yesterday and it was ok. Nothing really wrong but I have an odd feeling, just odd.

We already had a meeting over Kate about a month ago. Kate is really behind in her reading. She's tested about a full grade level below where she should be. All the tests they do now, it's really kinda crazy. I noticed with Jane, there was a huge panic over Jane's reading but on her own, when she was ready, she caught the reading bug. Jane's still a little bit behind her grade level but she's getting pushed by an awesome resource room teacher to do her absolute very best.

Anyway, KATE! Kate has an IEP for speech. Kate is beyond the point of needing speech but her speech teacher has hit her with all kinds of tests and she is deficiant in vocabulary. Ah-HA, a language deficiancy. What this means is that we can keep Kate in speech for a whole 'nother year. So she's still under the IEP umbrella which gives the school more cause to work at helping her with her reading and any other school issues.

We have an IEP meeting in a few weeks.

Now Jane. Jane's school work is going swimmingly. She's having a hard time adjusting to working alone and unsupervised but she's getting better at it. So glad.

Her teacher did express concern that Jane seems lonely and doesn't have any close friends. *sigh* This is heartbreaking for me as a mom. I remember being so lonely in fifth grade and I don't want Jane to experience that same lonliness. We'll try harder to get her together more often with friends.

So that was parent teach conference. All in all I felt much better then when I went to Kate's winter one last year and the teach informed me she had stopped working a month ago. *eye roll*

No comments:

Post a Comment